Food For Albino rainbow shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neuve

Aquarium Advice Freak
The real question is, what do you feed your ARS? Ive tried frozen brine, zuccini, sinking pellets and soaked flakes.

All they do is swim past it and go suck on driftwood or decoration.
Ideas?

By the way, Im planning on getting a huge kick ass tank after Xmas, so i was wondering what size would you recommend, i mean just to keep all of my fish together heres what ive got (now youll see why i want a huge tank) :oops:

10 gal:
Un Id'd Pleco (its white with some black spots and a black striped tail),
2 Albino raibow sharks (keeping an eye for signs of aggression)
3 peppermint corys,
3 kulhi loaches,
4 flame tetras,
6 blood fin tetras and 1 CAE.
UGF, HOB, Driftwood, Java Moss (Just a little, hope it grows...) Anacharis.

6 gal:
6 Neon Tetras, (love to have a 10 or 15 school)
1 Albino Rainbow shark,
1 Kulhi loach,
3 Peppermint Corys,
1 CAE.
UGF, Driftwood.

I was thinking a custom sized one, so maybe an 80 gal would work out.
I would hafta work on the Filtration, leaving out the UGF so i could have plants. Maybe just a corner filter (the ones which have the UGF stuck into a piece of rectangular foam) a Fluval or a big kick ass HOB.
For sustrate I will use the 30 kilos of Cancun's sand my brother brought me. Lighting issues will be dealed later.

Whaddaya Think?
MTS... I Love it... :roll:
BTW, i was thinking my neons would be better off all by themselves so i was thinking keeping the 10 gal for them (so i could give em the 6.5 ph they need) and using the 6 gal tank as QT/HT

lets hear it

Or maybe go all the way, save a little bit more and go for the 120 gal LOL :lol:

Both those tanks are so heavily overcrowded and overstocked its not funny. The ARS will hit 6inches alone. They're bottom feeders, basicly cleanup fish, they eat whatever food makes it to the substrate, so they're in direct competition for food with all the other bottom feeders you have.

Also, rainbow sharks, albino or not, generally require minimal 55 gallons of territory per adult. Otherwise they'll torture the weakest one and chase it constantly.

Yup, i know, but im not a big fan of giving back the fish youve already bought (@ my lfs, they had like 5 of them along with another 10 bala sharks and some red fin sharks in a 20 gal tank...), thats why im saving to get another tank.

Im also looking for someone with a big tank to keep em. I know its my fault for not making any reaserch on ARS before buying them but i wanna make it up for them.
ARS are both 1 1/2 inch now.

BTW, pleco was underfed, but beautiful, did everything i could to save him... Didnt make it.

One of my CAE's will be leaving soon, to the tank @ my school (120 L)

I know it's nobody else's fault but mine overstocking, but then again, thats why I'm asking about suggestions...

In any case if you think its really really important to do something right about now, maybe you can suggest me what to do (which fish to give away).

TIA

I have never seen my ARS eat any "food" that I've put in the tank. He is constantly grazing though and is a fat pig! He is also the *only* bottom feeder I have in my 29 gal., except for 2 algae eating snails.

He is the reason that I'll be able to talk my BF into a larger tank next year (he loves that Shark!) :mrgreen: I don't know how you could possibly keep one in a 6 gal or 10 gal, especially with all the other bottom feeders! I would hasten your after Christmas tank purchase and go for the 120 gal now! :wink: That tank might not keep the aggression down once they mature, but at least they won't be competing as much for food in the meantime!

Well, i put him in the 6 gal becuz of the territory thing theyve got goin on, not beacause i like him being there...

Ummm i know they shouldnt be together in a tank (kinda like bettas just not to the immediate death point) So thats why hes in there...

Ive noticed they kinda like sucking on the slime that grows on stuff like my hatchery where i kept my bloated tetras and stuff, no other bottom feeders try that...

As for "food", lately theyve been picking on zuccini. I still hafta try cucumber...

Ok so im giving out the CAE and the ARS in the 6 gal On friday Ill give back the ARS from the 10 gal to the acuarium...

Something else?
ASA
Pato

Even if you get rid of the CAEs and ARSs, you still have way too many fish in both tanks :oops:

ok, little by little,
what else should i give away???

Actual Score:

10 gal:
1 Albino raibow sharks (keeping an eye for signs of aggression)
3 peppermint corys,
3 kulhi loaches,
4 flame tetras,
6 blood fin tetras and 1 CAE.
UGF, HOB, Driftwood, Java Moss (Just a little, hope it grows...) Anacharis.

6 gal:
6 Neon Tetras, (love to have a 10 or 15 school)
1 Albino Rainbow shark,
1 Kulhi loach,
3 Peppermint Corys,

UGF, Driftwood.

Tomorrow ill take the other ARS from the 6 gal tank

Whaddaya Think

Back
Top Bottom