Food Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nacho

Aquarium Advice Newbie
In the beginning of keeping my facny guppy, i overfed him just a bit, and the excess food of course fell to the bottom. It's been about a week and a half, and the food looks a little fuzzy. So, is this a fungus, is it dangerous, will some kind of fish eat it and not bother my guppy, or do I need to clean it out some other way? Do I need to worry about it in the first place? Help! Thanks!

The best bet is to vacuum it out during a water change. Excess food causes excess waste in the tank, which in the long run will cause lots of problems.
I've never seen you on the site, so I don't know what size tank you have or what other fish are in there, or how often you change your water. So, I hope I'm not repeating anyone--you should do weekly water changes (25%). This will keep your fish healthy and reduce ammonia and other toxic build-ups.

[center:131fb18c6b]BTW--WELCOME to AA, nacho! :smilecolros: :n00b:[/center:131fb18c6b]

*Agrees with Menagerie*

Also, consider getting a snail or a trio of corydoras catfishes if you have room for them. They are very peaceful and will pose no threat to your guppies or their fry. These bottomdwellers will happily devour any food that happens to get by your guppies.

ghost shrimp are also non-threats to guppy fry and will search the bottom for leftovers (but when there are no leftovers if the tank mates are peaceful I have seen mine go to the surface upside down to pull flakes off the top).

Ok, if you put some much food in the tank it is still rotting over a week later, adding a bottom feeder is not the solution. I have never seen a Guppy pass up food anywhere in the tank, for it to be on the bottom for a week, the Guppies must have been STUFFED to the max the whole time.

Its probably brown diatom algae and not "fungus".
What color is the fungus?
White with hairy things?
Brown and fluffy?
Brown and slimey?
Black?
Green shades?
Slimey and with?
Slimey and green?
Stringy in any of the colors mentioneed?

Anyway..you will neeed a tank vauum to get that under control no matter what it is or the cause. I have never seen food that can be identified as food a whole week later....
And if you have an undergravel filter now would be a good time to stick a baster in the uplift tube and suck some crud out since if the surface is that way..it'll be waaay gross underneath! :? : p

Back
Top Bottom