Food stuck in tetras mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My blue tetra decided that it would be a good idea to eat the corys tasty tasty pellets whole and has got one stuck in his mouth. I wasnt too worried when I spotted him with it in his mouth this morning, because I thought he'd just spit it out like he usually does. However when I got home from work, hes still got it stuck in his throat, with his mouth wide open. Will he be able to deal with it as it softens? Is there anything I can do to help him?

My blue tetra decided that it would be a good idea to eat the corys tasty tasty pellets whole and has got one stuck in his mouth. I wasnt too worried when I spotted him with it in his mouth this morning, because I thought he'd just spit it out like he usually does. However when I got home from work, hes still got it stuck in his throat, with his mouth wide open. Will he be able to deal with it as it softens? Is there anything I can do to help him?

What kind of pellets do you use? Mine soften rather quickly I'm not sure how to help you though.... I research it real quick

They're king british catfish pellets. I would have thought it would've softened enough by now too. Hes still gaping though :/

They're king british catfish pellets. I would have thought it would've softened enough by now too. Hes still gaping though :/

I did a little research for you and some sites say to put on gloves and pull it out with teezers (not my first idea) plus it's a tetra...uhh impossible? Haha put others say their fish recovered after a while but in your case it has been a while... How big is he? And is he getting any better? The reason this is bad is even though fish breath through their gills they still need to swallow water in order to do this

I've removed lodged items from fishes' mouths before. Net him, then use your fingers ( no tweezers, you could injure him) to pull the pellet out. Good luck!

Pleco11771 said:
I did a little research for you and some sites say to put on gloves and pull it out with teezers (not my first idea) plus it's a tetra...uhh impossible? Haha put others say their fish recovered after a while but in your case it has been a while... How big is he? And is he getting any better? The reason this is bad is even though fish breath through their gills they still need to swallow water in order to do this

He doesn't seem to be getting any bigger at all. Hes acting normally, even trying to eat stuff that floats past. I love my tetras, but brainy they are not! Thank you for doing the research for me :) a lot of people just tell me to google it, but thats a bit difficult to do on my phone. Takes about 15 minutes to load up google. Lucky the app is so much quicker ;)

herp_mommy said:
I've removed lodged items from fishes' mouths before. Net him, then use your fingers ( no tweezers, you could injure him) to pull the pellet out. Good luck!

I can't pull it out because it's way down in his throat. I don't have fingers that small :/

Well, I've just had another quick check to see if hes downed it yet. It doesn't look like the pellet is there any more, but his mouth is still gaping really wide, and his throat looks really pink. Is there anything else that could be causing his jaw to hang o open? :/

Back
Top Bottom