found in plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbaygurl78745

Aquarium Advice FINatic
good morning.. the other day my friend had ordered some live plants they came into the lfs yesterday. as the pet store just got them in and called her so they didnt even take them outta there water bag. when she got half way home relized some thing was swimming in the bag. well as she only has a 15g planted tank with a betta and some cherry shrimp she called me over. i have no idea what they are but they are beautiful. i have them in a tank with my two cat 3 angels and electric green/yellow tetra's below are a picture of two of them there was 5 of them. she kept the other three in her tank. so if you guys know what they are are they gunna get big? are they peaceful enough to stay with my angels and tetras? or should i return them to the ifs?

Attachments

• SAM_0259.jpg
    SAM_0259.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 148
  • SAM_0261.jpg
    SAM_0261.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 150
That looks like a beautiful GBR ( german blue ram) female too with the pink belly. Not 100% sure on compatibility though

thank you i can now start some where with google. they are so tiny. i have two of them and my friend has the other three. i think think is going to make her up grade to another tank. lol. do you know if they get big?

Jbaygurl78745 said:
thank you i can now start some where with google. they are so tiny. i have two of them and my friend has the other three. i think think is going to make her up grade to another tank. lol. do you know if they get big?

You got those in a bag of plants?? Holy crap you are the luckiest ever!!

Those are some pretty GBRs. Which is saying a lot since GBRs grow more beautiful as they mature! They will not get big. They are a Dwarf Cichlid from South America.

If you ever wanna get rid of em you can always send em my way ;) haha

yup there was five total. do you think they would be ok with syno cats and my angels? one the cats are about 4 inch the other is like 2 inches. and they angels are still small yet i just got them like a week or so ago. n my electric green tetra is (well 2 of them) i know they should be schooled but my lfs stop selling them and couldnt get ride of last two and they were there for like 2 weeks all alone so i took them. if they will be a problem with the rams i can move them to a 40 with my daughters other tetras. but my big worrie is my angels i love them. the one cat will be moved once he hits 6 inchs to a cichlid tank. so basically just wanna make sure they will be ok with my angels.

How big are they?

I think to be safe I would put them in the 40 with the Tetras until they get a little bigger. They're still Cichlids, so they have spunk, but if they can fit in people's mouths it's just better to have the in a Tetra tank.

they are like 3/4 of an inch maybe. they are just so tiny they are so beautiful ive never seen one before in our lfs. good find for us i guess. just the prefect match of colors for our tank!!! and thank you.. im sure my daughter is gunna be the happiest when i tell her they get to go in her tank. and do you think they are both female since they both have pink bellys

find of our life time! amazingly beautiful!!!!

Last edited:
Jbaygurl78745 said:
they are like 3/4 of an inch maybe. they are just so tiny they are so beautiful ive never seen one before in our lfs. good find for us i guess. just the prefect match of colors for our tank!!! and thank you.. im sure my daughter is gunna be the happiest when i tell her they get to go in her tank. and do you think they are both female since they both have pink bellys

Good find? Try find of a lifetime! Haha

When those fish grow up, try them in a planted tank with some black substrate and they will reeeeally show their colors. And you never know, maybe you're friend has males and you could get some breeding going on!

Unfortunately I am not up to snuff on sexing the Rams. I will go research a little and get back to you. In the mean time maybe someone with more experience in that respect can help :)

Ok. I'm back. I wouldn't worry about trying to sex them when they are still so young.

I found a website to use when they mature a little:
Aquaticcommunity.com/Cichlid/germanblueram.php

Good luck!

ok thank you very much... i am ever soo glad to have found these guys

They will work fine with the angels and the catfish. I keep GBRs with my angels. As long as they have places to hide since they can be shy, they will be fine.

Don't worry about your angels. I have 10 veil angels and 11 rams. I do have a very large tank tho. Every once in a while a spunky ram may try to actually tug or try to eat the ends of their "feelers" like they are worms dangling there. But trust me the angels, no matter how little, chase them off and let them know in no uncertain terms that thier feelers are not food! Even if the angels are little, they can be just a spunky as rams are. You are exceedingly lucky to have gotten them, and not one but five! Did you and your friend by lottery tickets today... you should! If yours are that small and already showing pink bellies then soon you should be able to get an idea of the sex of the other three. If they are the same size as your two female with no sign of visual pink/red bellies your friend may have males.

i should go get a lottery ticket. lol. I just cant get over how beautiful they are it like each scale has there own coloration. two of her's are not showing pink/red bellies as of right now but one is. they move quick when they wanna. like little darts they are just amazing!!! thanks every one. Wat is the best food for them?

edit: as of right now ive seen them eat a freeze dried blood worm and tropical flakes with shrimp. i also gave them a couple Cichlid flakes

Just feed them a varied diet, pellets, flakes, frozen, mine really enjoy a snack of warmed, shelled, and slightly smashed peas.

I agree with Predfan, you're so lucky to find this little gem in plants!

I love German blue rams, they're so pretty. So sad that they typically don't live very long... and they tend to be pretty sensitive right?

I agree with Predfan, you're so lucky to find this little gem in plants!

I love German blue rams, they're so pretty. So sad that they typically don't live very long... and they tend to be pretty sensitive right?

yes i did alotta research last night on them. And did read alot about them being sensitive and pristine water. I'm going to try my hardest to keep them happy. They seem to be ok right now. fingures crossed

So my molli had Fry Thursdays night and sat I put a couple in for my cat fish to eat because there's just to many of them and my lfs don't take any fish. Now I noticed when I put three in for my cat that the ram started chasing them also would it be OK to put a cpl extra in for them? ( I know this sounds mean but I cant house like 75 babies then full grown I'm keeping about 15-20 for a couple people who want them

Back
Top Bottom