Fresh-Water Community Fish "Show Stopper ;) "

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simoneack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a Fresh-Water Community Aquarium. I'm looking for a fish to add.. Unusual fish that will be a great stand out for my aquarium.. I have a school of neon tetras, some Corey-Catfish, white-Clouds and a 2 Gourami .. Would love some feedback as to what would make a great show stopper for my aquaruim ?

Ohh of course sorry.. It's a 4ft approx 300L aquarium.. I have 15 Neons, 4 Corey's , 5 White-Clouds and 2 Male Gourami's =)

Ohh of course sorry.. It's a 4ft approx 300L aquarium.. I have 15 Neons, 4 Corey's , 5 White-Clouds and 2 Male Gourami's =)

What kind if gouramis? Depending on what kind, you may need to regime one of em. As for the rest, you could possibablly add a pair of apistogramma cichlids, a colony of 15 ghost shrimp(30 cents at petsmart) and a bn pleco

There Neon-Blue Dwarf Gourami's ? Ohh shrimp? I didn't think of those, I live in Tasmania/ Australia, we don't have pet smart .. And I've never seen them in any of our pet stores.. But thanks I will see if I can get some

Well the gouramis should be fine. The shrimp should be available, at least common even at my lfs here in USA. And there is a Thai crab, the only freshwater fully aquatic crab, but he may be aggressive. Like states above, loaches are great! Also a rainbow shark, rapheal cat, or bn pleco are all bottom, large(5" or larger) community fish

Thanks so much for your help =)) will defiantly hunt some shrimp down ;) and will check out my fish store see if they have one of the fish u have recommended ..

If you don't have any luck, try online! People here have ought 10 rcs( red cherry shrimp)for $19. That's about average for that shrimp, but if you can't find any consider live aquaria.con or aqbid

I just gave my fish store a call, they said nobody stocks live freshwater shrimp in Tasmania.. Oh u seriously can buy fish online? I will give it a look thanks =))

For sure! Look at a few different sites for bestpeice, and ask the fellas on here if they had any experiance.

You will have to check on-line sources in your country. I know importing to Australia is impossible but there is a chance you could find fellow aquarists or fish breeders in your country. Also you have neons so a Raphael or any large mouthed catfish is out of the question or your neons and any small fish that will fit in their mouth will be a tasty night snack. I'm sure you have some wonderful Rainbowfish over there and since they come in such a wide range of colors you might want to look into a school of them. Also a school of Congo tetras would fit in well with your current stock. You already have cory's so I really wouldn't do any loaches unless they were small Kuhli loaches.

Well the gouramis should be fine. The shrimp should be available, at least common even at my lfs here in USA. And there is a Thai crab, the only freshwater fully aquatic crab, but he may be aggressive. Like states above, loaches are great! Also a rainbow shark, rapheal cat, or bn pleco are all bottom, large(5" or larger) community fish

Rainbow sharks are not fit for a community like this. One would make quick work of the neons.

For a centerpiece, I recommend a pair of Rams. German Blue Rams are much more pretty, but can be touchy. Bolivian Rams are not quite as good looking, but still make excellent centerpieces. They are much easier to keep IME.

I just had a quick look at online australian fish sites, no one ships live fish to Tasmania because of our strict quarantine laws =( I did see a really cool fish in our pet shop, i think it was called a ghost fish? Are they good community fish?? I just want something that stands out ... I looked up rainbow fish they look super cool.. Thanks =))

I just gave my fish store a call, they said nobody stocks live freshwater shrimp in Tasmania.. Oh u seriously can buy fish online? I will give it a look thanks =))

I live in Tassie to and unfortunately we have the most hardcore quarantine laws in the world. We can't ship in fish from interstate without a special license, we can't legally sell fish without a license and it is illegal to important any crustaceans or amphibians from the mainland.

In regards to the idea of a show stopper you're up against it in terms of tank size and location. About the best I can think of is a Clown Pleco (Not. Loach.) but that'll be a Show Stopper you get to see every 3 months or so.

Another school like Congo Tetras would be a good way to fill out your tank but also look for a school of Black Skirt Tetras as they're very fun fish to watch.

I just had a quick look at online australian fish sites, no one ships live fish to Tasmania because of our strict quarantine laws =( I did see a really cool fish in our pet shop, i think it was called a ghost fish? Are they good community fish?? I just want something that stands out ... I looked up rainbow fish they look super cool.. Thanks =))

No, it's called a Ghostknife and you need about a 700L tank long term and short term they'll eat all your little fish.

No, it's called a Ghostknife and you need about a 700L tank long term and short term they'll eat all your little fish.

It was the first one.. Long black one.. But I've seen the second one in our pet shop to.. Will they go ok in my tank?

Back
Top Bottom