freshwater clams??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyWang

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have any experience with them? On liveaquria.com they have some and it says they help with nitrates. Ive been having nitrate problems lately and was thinking of getting a few of them for my 55 goldfish tank and 15 gal adf. would they be compatible? the description makes them seam pretty hardy.

calfishguy said:
If you have nitrate problems have you looked into getting live plants.

I have plants in the 15 gal with the adf's and the 55 is a black moore that uproots everthing I try to put in.

Is the moor the only fish in the 55g? What type of substrate? What is your water change schedule? You can try plant anchors or floating plants. I can post you a link to the plastic ones I used to use before I tossed the gravel in the trash. If nitrates are an issue in this tank, I would suggest increasing your water changes/grav vacs to keep them under control.

If you're concerned with nitrates, the plants are a much better option than the freshwater shellfish. Generally speaking, unless you've got a lot of food in the water column, the shellfish are not going to live long and then they are only going to add to your water quality issues.

jlk said:
Is the moor the only fish in the 55g? What type of substrate? What is your water change schedule? You can try plant anchors or floating plants. I can post you a link to the plastic ones I used to use before I tossed the gravel in the trash. If nitrates are an i.ssue in this tank, I would suggest increasing your water changes/grav vacs to keep them under control.

Yea hes the only one in there right now. And the substrate is gravel. I would love the link for the anchors. Ive been doing 50% pwc with the gravel vac once a week and then like 20% pwc gravel vac in between. Things were kinda bad for a while and the nitrates built up and I just cant seam to get them down.

Clams are filter feeders meaning you would need a continuous supply of green water.

Yea hes the only one in there right now. And the substrate is gravel. I would love the link for the anchors. Ive been doing 50% pwc with the gravel vac once a week and then like 20% pwc gravel vac in between. Things were kinda bad for a while and the nitrates built up and I just cant seam to get them down.

Gravel with goldies is royal pain in the behind! They are very messy fish & everything gets stuck between the rocks. Heres the plant anchor link:

Anchors & Planting Aids

I use those plastic profession plant anchors in my goldies tank. And my goldies are over 6 inches long. Also get plants that they can graze on if they want. I have dwarf sag, narrow leaf green temple, ambulia, just to name a few and those anchors really work for holding the plants down.

Back
Top Bottom