Freshwater Pipefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking for any information at all that anyone might have on Enneacampus ansorgii. It is a 6" pipefish from Africa that apparently lives in freshwater. The only information I have found on Google is either a) pictures of them, b) a very loose account on accidental breeding, c) very little info from Fishbase, or d) In a language that can't be translated. Has anyone tried keeping them? The only real husbandry data I seem to be able to find is that they need small live foods and are completely harmless (thus, defenseless).

I first saw one at a LFS in Maine (under the common name "ropefish"), but I hadn't been able to identify it till I was looking through an aquarium fish atlas today.

Here is a picture, FWIW: http://www.forumaqua.com/xoops/html/modules/xgallery/cache/albums/album35/aad.sized.jpg

Enneacampus ansorgii is indeed a pipefish but my references say it prefers slightly salty to brackish water at about 25 degrees C. It comes from the Congo region in Africa and reaches a length of 10cm. Like other pipefish and seahorses it usually refuses anything but live food like aquatic crustaceans (brine shrimp) and baby livebearers. I've never kept them but I understand from people who have that they are a royal pain in the butt to keep alive!

Somebody on here posted a picture of one of these "FW" pipefish. The moment I saw it, I was in love. All attempts on google and in stores since to find one have been fruitless. Truth be told, I don't think I'd get one even if I found it and could afford it... Too difficult to keep! Fruitbat's spot on.

The ones available in stores usually (that I've seen anyways) is NOT "slightly" salty to brackish. It is high end brackish (1.015-1.019) to full on SW. VERY hard to care for, any pipefish or seahorses are best left to the very advanced fishkeepers.

Dude... Dawson, are you talking about Enneacampus ansorgii or other pipefish? Obviously, the great majority of pipefish (Doryrhampus spp., Corythoichthys spp., Syngnathus spp., Microphis spp.) are full-out SW or brackish. It does seem, though, that there is at least one FW-brackish species out there.

Yeah, I think you have your pipefish mixed up. :) I don't doubt that it could be brackish, but not full-on SW.

From Fishbase:

"pH: 7.0-7.5
Distribution: Africa: Gambia river drainage to the Cuanza river, Angola.
Biology: Occurs in coastal rivers and streams (Ref. 4127)"

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=9889

Definitely wouldn't want to stick one in a high-end brackish or SW tank.

Enneacampus ansorgii can be kept in straight fresh water though they prefer brackish. There are Australasian pipefish that can also be kept in straight fresh water. Doryichthys retzi commonly enters fresh water though it is an estuarine species. Oostethus brachyurus and Hippichthys spicifer are fish that can tolerate conditions from brackish to pure fresh water. ALL of them, however, share the same trait of being finicky feeders and are tough to keep alive.

Back
Top Bottom