Freshwater Refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshNano

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Curious if anyone has experience setting up a freshwater Refugium as part of filtration? I am setting up a new cube aquarium and considering modifying filter and adding Refugium with plants.
Has anyone had success or tried this?
I understand that I can just add more Bioballs or lava rocks, but curious about using something similar to the saltwater approach with Chaeto filtration, but with some type of freshwater plant.
Also, if you have done this, what type of light did you use?
Thanks!

I mean you could do it, but why not just add plants to the tank itself?

In saltwater systems the refugium is a separate space primarily to provide refuge (hence the name) to copepods so that they can provide a constant food source to the tank and the fish don’t wipe out the population in a binge.

Unless you’re doing it primarily in order to add water volume to the tank I’m not sure I see the point.

I mean you could do it, but why not just add plants to the tank itself?

In saltwater systems the refugium is a separate space primarily to provide refuge (hence the name) to copepods so that they can provide a constant food source to the tank and the fish don’t wipe out the population in a binge.

Unless you’re doing it primarily in order to add water volume to the tank I’m not sure I see the point.

YES! Intended for adding water volume to tank/ crazy good ability to handle bioload (i already modified my HOB on other tank and over-filter that one which makes both my fish and me very happy)
So... I bought a biocube 32 gallon, which i know is intended to be saltwater tank, but you can use for freshwater as well. just so happens that it fits perfectly on a stand where i have room for it. I am intending for this to be a planted tank, i just really like the idea of the refugium and wondered if anyone had experimented with this concept for freshwater.
If you are familiar with the filtration setup in the back of the biocube, i also got the inTank accessories, so basically a perfect spot to setup a mini refugium.
My thoughts were that i could use guppy grass in there w/ a submersible light, and just trim as it grows.
YES, i know this would be overkill filtration, but i am considering changing my name to Captain Over-filter as i've become obsessed with crystal clear water, LOL.
I am doing way too much research before i set this tank up, probably should just go forward with using current plan of matrix in "fuge" and floss/purigen/chemi green in other tower.
I will keep you posted, but thanks very much for your reply and insights!

I was not familiar with the set up, but from what I see the fuge is already built in to the filter system and you’re just trying to decide what to do with that space? How are the lights on the tank? Are they built in and if so I’d be worried about the spectrum being geared for saltwater rather than freshwater plants. In a cursory review I see people have grown low/med. light plants in there so maybe it would be okay in the tank itself.

What fish are you planning on stocking? It still seems to me that unless you stock fish who are going to eat/destroy all your plants In the tank itself you might as well just plant the tank itself and use the refugium space for biomedia like bioballs/ceramic rings/biomax etc. I still just don’t really see the point of creating a tiny planted refugium rather than putting those same plants in the tank itself where they’d be able to grow to larger mass and contribute more to filtration.

Guppy grass, anacharis, hornwort and floating water lettuce are all big growers and nitrate sinks. Hornwort grows astonishingly fast but I would never put it in a refugium because if it gets unhappy it has been known to shed its leaves so you don’t want it to do that somewhere you wouldn’t see it right away. I personally use Val in my tank, it is beautiful and spreads quickly and it responds to increasing nitrates with explosions of growth. I also use water lettuce on the surface, which makes the fish more comfortable as well as being a fantastic nitrate sink.

I think you are correct and sometimes I get a little too creative with my planning. Since you are now familiar with the Biocube setup, the lights are actually awesome - they are able to grow corals, so plants should not be a problem. Okay freshwater refugium whacky idea put on hold for now.

What would you recommend for tall stem plant in back of tank?
Also, I’m looking for a nice reddish color leaf/plant for mid to foreground - any suggestions?

As for fish - I’m very torn on what direction to go. I like idea of another community tank, but cube size limits options. So thinking maybe a pair of blue rams, or a pair of angelfish, or maybe Gouramis. Obviously wouldn’t combine those. I haven’t owned any of them previously.
I would also like to do some danios or something for the top of the tank.

I’m doing waaaay too much research, but I like learning about the assorted fish and what can go together.
Thank you for the help in brain storming!

Dont expect lighting suitable for marine/reef use to be good for growing freshwater plants. They dont give out much red spectrum light which is important for plant growth particularly long growth and spreading. Low demand light plants will probably be OK in such light, but survive rather than thrive.

Dont expect lighting suitable for marine/reef use to be good for growing freshwater plants. They dont give out much red spectrum light which is important for plant growth particularly long growth and spreading. Low demand light plants will probably be OK in such light, but survive rather than thrive.

Thanks Aiken! I do hope though that the BioCube has sufficient light to be a planted tank (they advertise it as such)... please see below from the specs:

LED BioCube®
PAR* - 53
Peak PAR @ 12" - 81
Lux* - 2200
Peak Lux @ 12" - 3430

What do you think of that light setup?

I’m definitely doing a fish tank with plants (vs planted tank with fish), so my focus is primarily on keeping healthy and happy fish with plants as adding benefits to fish life/ health of tank.

I appreciate your comments and advice, thanks!

Ive not used the product, but done some of my own research including some on this forum. Generally not advised for FW but certainly doable.

I would stand by the comments on lighting though. The biocube is a marine product, and the standard lighting wont be ideal for plants. Its not anything to do with intensity, but light spectrum. You will probably be ok depending on the plants you want, but they may not thrive. Search up low tech aquarium plants. I think i could keep java fern alive in a bucket in the shed (i keep meaning to try this, maybe a summertime project), so im sure that would be ok. You mention you want plants with red. Plants with more coloured leafs tend to be higher light demanding, so that might be a reach. Have a go though, nothing to lose except for a bit of a time and effort. I have crypts in a low tech set up. They have red undersides to the leafs and reddish stems, great for mid tank (about 6 to 8" tall), they may be a good bet.

Good to know, and again thank you for the advice! I think the crypts are a great idea, thank you! And please let me know if you experiment with the java fern, I would like to know the outcome. In my other small nano tank currently have Amazon Sword, Java Moss and Marimo moss balls in low tech and they are doing great (thanks to a couple Flourish tabs!).

Do you think I could get a supplementary red light for better plant growth/health in the BioCube?
If so, do you have any recommendations?

Also, with all your experience in fish keeping - any thoughts on stocking a cube like this? I want something that will be entertaining, but also want the fish to be happy.

Thanks again!

I would probably just look to replace the fitting rather than adding another. Its not that you should be adding a red light fitting, you need a wide spectrum white light that includes red. Im not at all saying you should replace the light, just be aware there might be issues and what you might need to do to resolve it. Dont go to the expense of replacing a light fitting without seeing if you have issues first.

I dont normally get involved with suggesting stocking, because its all down to personal preference.

But, if i was gifted a 32g cube shaped tank for freshwater. I wouldnt be going for anything too active a swimmer as there isnt the length. Id have some corys, because i just love them, a dwarf gourami, maybe a pair of rams, and a group of black phantom tetras.

In reality, if gifted a biocube 32 i would go marine, as im itching to have a go at marine/reef (ive only done FW) and would do 2 clownfish in there. Waiting on a change of world events before i run to expense of another tank.

Awesome feedback, thank you.

I really considered going SW with this, but after considering and calculating costs, and that I am still very new to fishkeeping, I’m sticking with FW for now. Long term I figure I could switch the FW fish to new tank and use BioCube for SW.

I like the mix you suggested of Corys/dwarf Gourami/ pair of rams and the black phantoms! How man Corys and how many phantoms would you say? Pygmy Corys or Corydoras? I’m trying to get an idea of bioload and manage my fish wish expectations, haha. I also like shrimp and snails, but haven’t owned Corys. My research says they like to be kept in groups.

Thanks again!

Im not sure what the filters are like on those tanks, but i presume pretty good. I would go around 10 to 12 for the tetras, and if you went for a smallish cory like a panda, maybe 8 to 10 of those. Never kept shrimp, so not sure on compatibility but you could certainly go with some snails as well. When its all set up be sure to post some pics.

Pygmy corys are tiny (less than an inch). Not sure about the aesthetics of those with the other fish. More for a nano tank with other tiny fish IMO.

I adore Pygmy cories, they’re so cute. But they’re very tiny and extremely timid so you probably would never see them. I have a dozen in a 10 gallon that were supposed to go in a bigger tank but they were too timid and were getting picked on even by my glo tetras (white skirts).

Also consider some algae eaters like otos (wait a few months on them they need the biofilm of an older tank), amano shrimp and nerite snails. Amano shrimp get big and agile enough to hold their own against most small/medium sized fish that aren’t actively hunting them. With the light spectrum not being quite ideal for freshwater plants you may have some algae issues down the line so stocking some things that will appreciate some algae to nibble on would create balance.

Java moss, (most kinds of moss), java fern, anubius, crypts. Red crypts are probably the only reddish colored plants that will handle the lower light. Those are the plants I would start with, see how they do and maybe try some other plants down the line.

Back
Top Bottom