Freshwater stingrays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papastew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I was curious if anyone has experience with FW stingrays and might have some advice for a soon to be newbie stingray owner.

Stingrays require a special tank that is extremly large and shallow.

I believe it is unadvisable to keep them with other fish of any type, and IIRC even the " teacup " sized ones get very alrge in the end.

There are a few people on this board that keep them. I thought about keeping them at one time but changed my mind after I found out that even the small ones get about 18 inches across. Somebody recently posted about rays that he keeps in a 220 gal tank.

Yes, ponds or custom tanks are best for rays, as you want a fair amount of square footage for the bottom. A sand substrate is a must (although some keepers have success with bare-bottomed tanks), and a very stable, seasoned tank with a very stable pH is esential. A few rays (such as the reticulated ray that are most often sold as 'teacups') stay relatively small (about 10"-12" disc diameter), but many, like motoros, can exceed 24" in disc size and will eventually need huge aquaria.

I keep a teacup with discus in a 125 without any problems, he's around 8' and doing fine.

one thing make sure they will eat for you when you go to buy the ray.... I took the owners word and I ended up losing my ray because he would not eat.

Back
Top Bottom