"Frozen" theme tank build journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, gotta admit I didn't think my stocking list would spark this much of a debate!

As far as cory cats, I think the confusion is over the specific species. I would only stock DWARF corydoras, specifically the habrosus. I've had small shoal (about 9, they are hard to count!) in my 29 g for years now. None of them is over 1.5" and they seem to behave like a "regular" cory. On the other hand, my pygmaeus corys in the same tank tend to hang out higher up and I was concerned that species would end up in the betta's path too often. I considered khuli loaches, but I've never kept them and I've read varying accounts on what kind of space they need.

I am open to other bottom dweller suggestions, but the betta is the star of the tank. I really do want to stick with an easy to keep fish for this tank and stay on the lighter stocking side.

In other news, I had another batch of equipment arrive today, still waiting on the castle and I haven't had time to rinse sand yet. Hopefully the bagged Carib Sea stuff won't require too much rinsing. The plastic plants in the photos seems soft enough to me for the betta, so hopefully they will work out. At least the heater and filter fit well!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427833377.142671.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427833413.182901.jpg

Wow, gotta admit I didn't think my stocking list would spark this much of a debate!

As far as cory cats, I think the confusion is over the specific species. I would only stock DWARF corydoras, specifically the habrosus. I've had small shoal (about 9, they are hard to count!) in my 29 g for years now. None of them is over 1.5" and they seem to behave like a "regular" cory. On the other hand, my pygmaeus corys in the same tank tend to hang out higher up and I was concerned that species would end up in the betta's path too often. I considered khuli loaches, but I've never kept them and I've read varying accounts on what kind of space they need.

I am open to other bottom dweller suggestions, but the betta is the star of the tank. I really do want to stick with an easy to keep fish for this tank and stay on the lighter stocking side.

In other news, I had another batch of equipment arrive today, still waiting on the castle and I haven't had time to rinse sand yet. Hopefully the bagged Carib Sea stuff won't require too much rinsing. The plastic plants in the photos seems soft enough to me for the betta, so hopefully they will work out. At least the heater and filter fit well!

View attachment 268888

View attachment 268889

Lookin great so far!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hard scape and tank fill done! I rinsed the sand, but still some cloudiness so I think I'll run the filter over the weekend while I'm gone and add seeded media when I get back. Hoping for an easy insta cycle since I can steal media from my other tanks!

Overall I'm pretty happy with the tank layout, I hope it has enough things to make the fish feel somewhat comfortable. It's so weird doing a scape that's so static with no plants!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427935949.874792.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427935971.839832.jpg

Well this turned out nicely! I was about to comment on the slope of sand that will eventually level out and then realized it was the background. Fooled me ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Very nice! I'll stay out of the ram chatter for now;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well this turned out nicely! I was about to comment on the slope of sand that will eventually level out and then realized it was the background. Fooled me ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ha, that's great that the illusion works! When I was putting the sand in the tank outside I was concerned because daylight showed a pink tint in the sand. However the dim tank lights make it look more white which is great.

I'll move some corys into the tank next week, and start hunting around for the right betta!

"Frozen" theme tank build journal

I'm still a little worried about that fake plant... But overall, it looks great!

I'm still a little worried about that fake plant... But overall, it looks great!

What has you worried about the plants, other than being fake?

I think it looks great, it reminds me of up north all that cold looking snow.

Have you thought about maybe crafting a Christmas tree with a live moss or plant? I'm still learning about plants so please excuse my lack of names, lol. :)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe because it's plastic not silk and has the potential to rip fins. But I'm sure it will be ok.

29g Community

3g Betta

Have you picked fish yet??!?

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Hard scape and tank fill done! I rinsed the sand, but still some cloudiness so I think I'll run the filter over the weekend while I'm gone and add seeded media when I get back. Hoping for an easy insta cycle since I can steal media from my other tanks!

Overall I'm pretty happy with the tank layout, I hope it has enough things to make the fish feel somewhat comfortable. It's so weird doing a scape that's so static with no plants!

View attachment 269018

View attachment 269019

Amazing Job!...very talented with the background...I showed my 4yr old daughter and may have to build one myself for her!...PS the plastic plant will be fine I wouldn't worry about it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kuhlis are my favorite fish but I'd go with the dwarf cories for this tank personally.

With those colors and background a sparkling gourami would look awesome (instead of a betta before anyone gets jumpy :whistle: ):

img_3200564_0_d25f2ea2ad11ed4b5a1b92c627ff1712.jpg

Thanks all! It's fun watching it come together even though it's soooooo opposite of my personal taste in fish tanks.

I like the sparkling gourami suggestion, if it was for me!! I think my nieces will enjoy a betta more though, they're just so big and flashy.

Tank is clear, seeded with a sponge from an already active Aquaclear 20, and now home to 5 corydoras habrosus!

It took me something like 30 minutes to catch those darn catfish from my (heavily) planted 29 gallon. Every time I move a fish out of my main tank I swear never again....ended up doing a minor rescape in my 29 gallon since I had move so much stuff.

5 corys because that's all I could catch. I feel sorry for the lone habrosus stuck in my 29 gallon and his pygmaus cohorts, but not too sorry after today.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428541783.630501.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428541814.158914.jpg

And one hitchhiker that came over on my net....

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428541873.834983.jpg

Oh, just a lone cherry shrimp. He hung on to the net when I was transferring one cory from the holding tub to the new tank. I was too tired of catching fish to try to get him out of the Frozen tank.

Back
Top Bottom