Frustrated with my serpaes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got five serpaes in November, 2003 just as soon as my tank had cycled. First, they got ich, which I cured following the advice in Allivymar's article. Since then, they have been plagued by a series of bacterial infections. My water parameters are fine and the other fish in the tank are unaffected. I have treated my serpaes no less than six times with four different meds (MelaFix, PimaFix, Kanacyn, Fungus Clear). This is besides the point, but I've spent well over $50 to treat $8 worth of fish. :roll:

In the past three months, I have had to euthanize two of them after they turned black and stopped eating. The other three still have their vivid orange color, but two of them still how signs of finrot. These two also have popeye, some red ulcerations, and reduced appetite. One of them started swimming funny this morning (swimbladder?), prompting me to QT them. For now, I am leaving the one remaining, seemingly healthy serpae in the show tank. I hope I don't lose him too.

So, now I have two serpaes in the hospital tank. I am breaking a cardinal rule by treating them with FungusClear, Spectromax (Kanamycin), and Melafix simultaneously - but I'm at the end of my rope with these poor sickly fish. This persistent bacterial infection has just got to end here and now! :evil: I see several possible outcomes: These fish will either be cured, live out the rest of their days in QT, die from the meds, or be euthanized! Aaaaagh!

I hate to say it, but this is not a healthy stock of fish. If they are cured, you will probably be treating them again in the near future.
I don't envy the position you are in.

Unhealthy stock: that's what I'm afraid of - that and the possibility of the serpaes giving whatever they have to my other fish. I'd hate anything bad to happen to my stunning black phantoms or corys.

Funny thing, the serpaes don't always look sick and they eat well for the most part. That's the only reason I haven't euthanized them all. I figure as long as they are eating, there's still hope to cure them. :?

You're a biologist/chemist!--Things don't always appear the way they are. Like a human with a chronic illness, he/she can have good weeks and bad weeks.
I wish you the best of luck with your serapes; however, I think they will need continual treatment (on and off).
I had a betta once that acted healthy, but if you looked at him odd, he had fin rot. This went on for months. When I moved, he was euthanized because there was just no room for special amenities for an ill fish :( .

I tend to think its poor stock as well, and likely due to inbreeding. You have really done everything one needs to do to keep em healthy, and they still manage to get ill; makes me think its genetic.

Do ask at the next GCAS mtg tho (you ARE coming right? LOL); I think we have some tetra folks there.

One serpae died last nite - I guess either the combined meds or it's advanced illness was the cause. I euthanized the other fish because it was not eating and was unable to swim horizontally. I nuked the tank and have it all ready to serve as a QT tank again.

*sigh* In a way, I am relieved these fish passed on. They were unhealthy and unhappy from the get-go. I still have one more healthy serpae - he eats like a pig and hangs out with the black phantoms. I'm going to try to get him some serpae friends before he develops an identity crisis.

And, Alli, I will definitely be at the next GCAS meeting - I'm looking forward to the flea market!

You did the right thing, QTOFFER. Take solace in the fact that you did everything you could for them.

Back
Top Bottom