Fry getting eaten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TOMatt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was really happy a few weeks ago to see a few fry swimming in my tank. I'm not sure if they're Mollies or Platies, i've got adult females of both varieties in the tank.
Anyway, I was pruning the plants when i saw a Platy race up behind a cute little fry and gulp it down. I know that's nature, but I was pretty disappointed.

Does anyone know of a way to help keep them alive until they're too big to be eaten by their tankmates? I can't set up a separate tank, but any other options would be appreciated?

Also, does anyone know how long it should take for fry to grow to a safe size?

A breeders net. They go in your current tank, and allow your fry to thrive until they are too big for your others mouths. They are 6 bucks at your lfs. I just picked one up this morning!

This is what I got for my girl. It's a 3 in 1 v insert that allows the babies to fall through with out the mother making a meal out of them. It houses the fry until they are ready to be tank mates with your other fish. And there are air holes all over it. It also houses betta fish from the rest of you tank. I wouldn't recommend it's too small. And it was 6 bucks!

Attachments

• image-3717328776.jpg
    image-3717328776.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 58
Hmm. I looked up the breeder nets online, and the recommendation is only to keep the fish in for a few days. My fry are already a couple of weeks old, but still small enough to be eaten by the platies.
Piratechest, i like your idea, if i could find a way to keep the fry IN and the others OUT...

The mother fish yes, but the young can thrive in there until ready.

Back
Top Bottom