FW Ammonia problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Winterds

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

While ago I decided to start my 20g tank over, by cleaning the gravel and what not, which I found out I caused more harm than good because I killed the good bacteria. But since then I have added the Bacteria sold in a bottle and let the tank do its thing. The tank seemed fine at one point and the only bad thing was the .25 ammonia showing on the liquid API test kit, then I started to buy Fresh Water from the local store, I tested the water and it was perfect all around. But since then, the ammonia spike to 8 ppm... i've done a few 50% water changes since then with the bought water, but the ammonia isn't going down. I have 9 Tiger Barbs, which they seem fine, but with that much Ammonia they should have died by now...and its been like this for 2 weeks.

I have (2) Penguin 150 bio wheel with 2 filter pads in each, I added more bacteria last week but the ammonia level is still at 8ppm. I checked to see if the Kit is expired but it looks like its from 2010...

Any ideas ? :'(

Nobody ? I don't know what to do, my water is a little cloudy atm also. It was crystal clear before I added more bacteria.

Winterds said:
Hello everyone,

While ago I decided to start my 20g tank over, by cleaning the gravel and what not, which I found out I caused more harm than good because I killed the good bacteria. But since then I have added the Bacteria sold in a bottle and let the tank do its thing. The tank seemed fine at one point and the only bad thing was the .25 ammonia showing on the liquid API test kit, then I started to buy Fresh Water from the local store, I tested the water and it was perfect all around. But since then, the ammonia spike to 8 ppm... i've done a few 50% water changes since then with the bought water, but the ammonia isn't going down. I have 9 Tiger Barbs, which they seem fine, but with that much Ammonia they should have died by now...and its been like this for 2 weeks.

I have (2) Penguin 150 bio wheel with 2 filter pads in each, I added more bacteria last week but the ammonia level is still at 8ppm. I checked to see if the Kit is expired but it looks like its from 2010...

Any ideas ? :'(

First off, if ammo is that high you need to do daily 50% pwc's starting off with 2 back to back 75% changes. Ammonia that high is super toxic and just because the fish hasnt died doesnt mean they're not suffering from ammonia poisoning which burns and scars their gills.

Bacteria in a bottle is 99% useless. Healthy bacteria requires a constant source of ammonia, good oxygenation and surfaces to grow on. Imagine scooping it out of your tank, throwing it in a bottle and sticking it on a shelf for weeks...it not going to survive.

You're tank is cycling and is extremely deadly right now for your fish, I HIGHLY recommend finding a temp home for your fish and do a fishless cycle to prepare it for them. If you can't find a new home, the name of the game is massive pwc's every day to keep the fish alive

Make sure you use a dechlorinator like Prime on every water change.

Winterds said:
Nobody ? I don't know what to do, my water is a little cloudy atm also. It was crystal clear before I added more bacteria.

The water being cloudy is most likely a sign that the tank is beginning to cycle, probably has nothing to do with the bottled stuff. Cycling a tank with fish can take a long time, and the bacterial bloom that clouds the water is usuall a sign that it's starting.

Why are you using store water? Unless there's something really funky with your tap water, its perfectly acceptable. Just make sure you're adding Prime to it to remove the chloramines. BTW, chloramines will show up as ammonia on an API kit, but it's a false positive as long as you used a dechlorinator. Prime doesn't take it out, it just detoxifies it. The 8ppm of ammo is a spike caused by the fish in there now...that needs to be brought down with the two 75% pwc's immediately.

They are treating the water and warned us not to use it for aquarium for another month or so.

eco23 said:
The water being cloudy is most likely a sign that the tank is beginning to cycle, probably has nothing to do with the bottled stuff. Cycling a tank with fish can take a long time, and the bacterial bloom that clouds the water is usuall a sign that it's starting.

Funky thing is I had left that tank cycling without fish for a month, then everything went to ****. Wouldn't a 75% water change cause more harm than good to the fish ?

Winterds said:
Funky thing is I had left that tank cycling without fish for a month, then everything went to ****. Wouldn't a 75% water change cause more harm than good to the fish ?

By cycling the tank for a month, did you add an ammonia source or just let it sit? The bacteria needs a food source to colonize (adding pure ammonia, using a frozen shrimp, fish food, etc...) just letting it sit does nothing because there is no ammonia source for the bacteria to grow and multiply.

When I say 75% pwc, I don't mean just one...I mean do a 75%, let it circulate for 20 minutes and then do another 75% change. If your test is correct and the ammo is at 8ppm, I can't even begin to explain how toxic that is..it must be brought down immediately. Even if you're using the store bought water that has no chlorine, still use Prime or another dechlor to help detoxify some of the ammonia in there.

eco23 said:
By cycling the tank for a month, did you add an ammonia source or just let it sit? The bacteria needs a food source to colonize (adding pure ammonia, using a frozen shrimp, fish food, etc...) just letting it sit does nothing because there is no ammonia source for the bacteria to grow and multiply.

When I say 75% pwc, I don't mean just one...I mean do a 75%, let it circulate for 20 minutes and then do another 75% change. If your test is correct and the ammo is at 8ppm, I can't even begin to explain how toxic that is..it must be brought down immediately. Even if you're using the store bought water that has no chlorine, still use Prime or another dechlor to help detoxify some of the ammonia in there.

I just let it sit with some ghost shrimp in there , feeding them here and there.

I HIGHLY suggest you learn about the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium and what cycling a tank is. If you left a tank sitting empty for 20 years it would not cycle. You need to provide the things the bacteria need to grow let me see if I can find a couple links for you...

Alrighty, here's a link for what you're dealing with right now-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

If you can find a temporary home for the fish, you absolutely want to do a fishless cycle. Here's a fantastic link for that-
Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

Don't beat yourself up about any of this. The lfs don't take time to educate people or ask questions before they sell them fish. It happens all the time where some "expert" from Petco or other stores simply give wrong information or dont ask questions that would avoid this from happening on a daily basis.

Again, I think you've got to get the pwc (partial water change...if you didn't already know :) ) done as soon as possible. Also make sure you're testing the right way with your API kit (using both solutions, shaking them long enough, etc...). When that's done, post your full parameters to this thread so I can see them and we'll take it from there. Try to find pH, ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte levels. That way I can see where you are in your cycle.

eco23 said:
Again, I think you've got to get the pwc (partial water change...if you didn't already know :) ) done as soon as possible. Also make sure you're testing the right way with your API kit (using both solutions, shaking them long enough, etc...). When that's done, post your full parameters to this thread so I can see them and we'll take it from there. Try to find pH, ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte levels. That way I can see where you are in your cycle.

I appreciate all your help.

Back
Top Bottom