get another female platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy_friend

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey I have two male platies and one female, the males are chasing her a bit but not hounding her and there are plenty of places she can hide from them. I have read online that the reason you are meant to have a ratio of 1 male to 2 females is because the male will constantly harass her if there just one female and this could kill her. is this true, and if so should I get another female?

You should be getting 3 more females. 1 male harassing one is never good let alone two. If you don't want three more, I'd at least get two more.

okay going to get some more females day after tomorrow, if a get more females, will they be expecting fry at the same time or do they males vary which female at a time?

Yes, I do recommend getting more females. As for birth times, they most likely will not become pregnant at the exact same time, so they probably won't give birth at the same time. The births may be close together, though.

Back
Top Bottom