Getting no parmeter reading when testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Decoratedgoat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
not getting any amonnia,nitrate or nitrite readings..

my tank has been up for almost 10 years,
I fully cleaned my tanks after finding a good home for my plecos that were 9inch and 8 inch and had sucked the slim and killed most of the other fish so after 2 years i found them a gret pond to live in,8 months ago i started adding fish to my tank im at what my bio says. The last 3 months i have not got any ammonia,nitrate or nitrite readings,i was using the api marine lab to test and then purchased a new one just to make sure but still im getting no readings.i do a 30 gal water change weekly with a good siphon and glass cleaninng.im just not getting it
ph 8.0
ammonia 0.0
nitrate 0.0
nitrite 0.0

Yes i'm not familiar with the API Marine Lab test kit either.. i thought that Marine Test kits there for saltwater tanks? is that one compatible with Freshwater tanks..? Another thought.. it could be that your tank is very well cycled and that's why you have no ammonia nitrite detectable.. Is your tank Heavily Planted? I am new to the site and for the life of me could not find your bio to see what type of fish or plants you have? If your tank is Heavily planted that cold explain the nitrate.. or it could be that the test kit is incompatible with your tank.. maybe at higher of 8 it is altering the chemicals making them ineffective..? You may can try this Welcome to API Fishcare: AMMONIA TEST KIT since i could not find your specific test kit you have listed.. but i use the one listed above and it works like a charm.. Hope this helps What i would probably say is if your fish don't look in distress at all no clamped fins.. of lethargic or pale colors just get another form of ammonia testing kit to see if it's accurate and if it is! congrat!

It is a older redsea product label reads api marine test lab it tests ph,akalinity,nitrate,nitrite and ammonia i all so have the api master fresh water test kit but i am getting the same results ,ph 8.0 water temp remains at a constant 78 degreed but no ammonia,nitrite or nitrate readind on either test kit.
the fish act as they normally do ,just not understanding why im getting no readings

Most commonly there is an issue with the nitrate test kit in how it's used. You have to exactly follow the directions to get proper results.

1. 5ml of tank water
2. 10 drops of bottle number 1
3. Shake vial for 5 seconds
4. Shake Bottle number 2 VIGOROUSLY for a full 30 seconds (Time this)
5. Add 10 drops of bottle 2
6. Shake vial VIGOROUSLY for a full minute (Time this)
7. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before reading.

I have used it for the past 5 years and always had a reading when testing.
I always follow the directions and I have read reread the instructions before I came to the forums to ask questions. it started in the last three months hence why I purchased a second kit to make sure the kit wasn't the problem. thank you for the directions but I don't think that is the issue.

You said that the kit is Called Marine API lab.. i'm not sure about the kit and couldn't find anything about it on their website! all the marine lab test kits that i am aware of are for saltwater aquariums.. but i'm not sure on this? What was the second test kit? was it the same thing? I use API Welcome to API Fishcare: AMMONIA TEST KIT and have never had a problem with it.. one question is your tank heavily planted i have herd of people that consistently have 0 nitrates when testing.. just due to the plants using the Nitrates? another possibility if it is a saltwater test kit.. and you said it was older the chemicals may not be active at a PH of 8.. so thus no results.. i'm not sure what chemicals they use to detect it but usually a chemicals ability to be active depends on a compounds PKa (the ph at which a drug or compound is in it's ionized or unionized form or active or inactive).. so that could be affecting your results since your PH is 8? But if all your fish look healthy no clamped fins or lethargy you have time i would pick up something other than the Marine Lab test kit maybe try a different brand? Hope this helps

the tank has no live plants. kids dont seem to like them the marine lab is made by red sea so may be a saltwater kit,but i never had issue prior to recent ,i have also purchased a api master freshwater kit. there could be no problem but thought i would ask to see if anyone had ideas as to why this is occuring. the fish are fine and are acting the same as they have been since i aclimated them. i will just keep watching and keep trying to figure this out . thanks for all who have been trying to help:)

Back
Top Bottom