Ghost Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floop123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I am new to aquarium keeping, and got two ghost shrimp to go with my 1 inch goldfish. They mainly ignore each other, but here are some times when they fight:

1) a shrimp attacked my goldfish when I was doing a water change

2) goldfish lunged at shrimp( this happens often)

I've heard of a macrobrachium. Do you think they could be that? Is my goldfish safe?

I moved one of the shrimp into a small fishbowl until I can afford a new one. How often should I clean it?

What size tank do you have? What and how often do you feed them? If they're ghost shrimp they're not macrobrachia, which is a genus.

1.5 gallon tank. Waiting to get new one. I feed everyone tetra goldfish food. I feed them once or twice a day. I don't know if this helps, but they both have one bit of red in one of their legs. Also, do ghost shrimp have like a fork in their front legs?

You're going to have to change the water daily with what you have now. Do you have a water test kit?
Test kit or test strips that check ammonia is probably the most important tool for fishkeeper. That's how you know what is going on in your tank.

Liquid master test kit lasts a long time (although $20-30 expense), a small package of test strips (if you can find them, usually a bigger package), a ammonia liquid test kit is $6-8, but is included in master test kit (which you ultimately will need.

Hope this helps, I know money is sometimes tight. But water testing us essential, lfs or chain stores will test water for you. If you have them do the test for you, make sure they test for ammonia and write the actual #'s down for all the tests so you can remember them later if need be.

You're welcome, make sure you get ammonia and nitrites tested somehow. They are very toxic, even in small amounts, to fish. If you have or can afford it seachem Prime water conditioner detoxifies ammonia and nitrites if under 1ppm or less.

Back
Top Bottom