Glass catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waffle toaster

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just at the fish store getting fish for my new 20 gallon, when I saw these glass catfish. I instantly fell in love with them, but I knew nothing about them,so I didn't get them. I know that most catfish grow very big, so would it be safe to add some to my 20 gallon? If so, I might want to go back and get a school!

What is your current stock? They are a very finicky catfish that requires excellent water conditions heavy filtration and decent sized schools.

First kudos to you for researching first. Many people buy then research. You first need to up the schools of tetras barbs and clouds to a minimum of 6-8 each, or you are going to loose what you have now due to stress. Then you can add a few glass cats.

I've kept glass cats and they have to be keep with at least 5 if not more. The more there are the less skittish they tend to be. The also enjoy plants and like to hover in a group right in front of plants usually lower in the tank. Depending on tank mates they can sometimes be out competed for food.

I don't remember what type of pleco, they just said it was the smallest pleco in stock, and it's barely an inch long. I was planning on getting 5 glass catfish from the start.

I don't remember what type of pleco, they just said it was the smallest pleco in stock, and it's barely an inch long. I was planning on getting 5 glass catfish from the start.

Get the name of the pleco and check before getting it as just because it's the smallest pleco in stock doesn't mean it's not going to get too big for your tank.

Well, I guess none of that matters now. I woke up yesterday morning to see one of the white clouds suck on to the filter, dead, and then by the time I went to bed, the other one was dead. Then, to start off my Christmas Eve, I found the Pleco lying upside down, unmoving on the gravel. I hope that there isn't a sickness in the tank, and I won't have a tank full of dead fish on Christmas.

Good thing you didn't get the glass cats then. Good job on your patience. Have you had this tank running for a while? Is it a new set up? Did you get a test kit?

I started cycling on dec. 9, and I got the fish on dec. 18. I didn't get a testing kit. Also, 1 of the cherries is now missing.

I tested my water, and everything was about 5 points too high, so I bought some things to lower them, and there hasn't been a death since. It's been more than a week since I added the lowering stuff, so I plan on getting more fish very soon.

I would wait a couple more weeks. This should give your tank enough time to get some nitrifying bacteria.

You seem very patient. Hold on a bit. It really sounds like you are are close but maybe jumped the gun on adding fish. If you read the earlier post and test your water you'll be better off. If you see nitrates you'll know you are ready for fish and healthy fish.

You seem very patient. Hold on a bit. It really sounds like you are are close but maybe jumped the gun on adding fish. If you read the earlier post and test your water you'll be better off. If you see nitrates you'll know you are ready for fish and healthy fish.

Yes, I've had some terrible experience with adding fish too early, so now when I do a cycle with fish, I have only 3 fish in the aquarium until the cycle is completely over, then still wait a week to be completely safe. I haven't had any kind of cycle or overstock related casualties since.

I was just at the fish store getting fish for my new 20 gallon, when I saw these glass catfish. I instantly fell in love with them, but I knew nothing about them,so I didn't get them. I know that most catfish grow very big, so would it be safe to add some to my 20 gallon? If so, I might want to go back and get a school!

My sister got them not too long ago, she got a group of 6, they prefer to be in larger groups, so she read, they dont grow big but are very darty, dont have you water level all the way to the rim if you dont have a cover, one of hers jumped out twice while feeding -_-... be sure your water parameters are good cause they are fragile fish! very cool though!

Back
Top Bottom