Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2024, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Glo Danio gravid or sick?

Hi all,

Just noticed that one our Danios has blown up quite a bit. Faily certain this has occurred only over a few days' time span, though I have seen a few of them with bigger bellies occasionally.

I have never seen one of our Danis this large however, the bulge appears more to the right than symmetrically, which i tried to capture in photos. Right now she is segregated inside of the main tank with a presumed male in case she is actually laying.

I would appreciate yours thoughts and insights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VideoCapture_20240208-141104.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	326237   Click image for larger version

Name:	VideoCapture_20240208-141157.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	326238  

Old 02-08-2024, 07:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sadly, this looks like either the fish swallowed something that is inflaming the fishes insides or it's a tumor. Unfortunately, with it being that large, there really isn't anything you can do for it. When/if the fish starts to show signs of struggling to swim or eat, it would be best for the fish to euthanize.
Old 02-11-2024, 03:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Sadly, this looks like either the fish swallowed something that is inflaming the fishes insides or it's a tumor. Unfortunately, with it being that large, there really isn't anything you can do for it. When/if the fish starts to show signs of struggling to swim or eat, it would be best for the fish to euthanize.
Just by way of update, unfortunately, you were correct. I thought the subsequent day that the bulging seemed less pronounced and I hoped there might be a chance at recovery, but the following morning this poor guy was floating.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjajim4 View Post
Just by way of update, unfortunately, you were correct. I thought the subsequent day that the bulging seemed less pronounced and I hoped there might be a chance at recovery, but the following morning this poor guy was floating.
Sorry to hear, sometimes I hate being right.
Did you happen to do an autopsy to see what was in there? Normally I don't either unless something is weird or off. Case in point, the fish in my avatar was going along just fine, breeding like a champ, then one day stopped eating, started bloating and eventually died. I did an autopsy and found a piece of gravel in his intestines that was blocking him causing an infection and eventual death. That piece of gravel came from a very small amount of gravel in the cup of a plastic plant to help weigh it down. How he managed to get THAT piece took real effort on his part. It was a shame his tenacity turned into stupidity and cost him his life but that's what can happen in the world of fish keeping. If yours was also something eaten, it would help to know so it can be removed.

Tags
danio, gravid, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com