Tiger barbs-sick or just odd behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loraaf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Tiger barbs, seem to swim perfectly normal and then occasionally go over near the heater and "swim"/chill out vertically. One of the albino barbs does it the most. But I have seen one of the reg tiger barbs copying the albino, but only once or twice.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. Ammonia aprox 0.25, nitrites 0, nitrates between 0 and 5 ppm. Temp is 76-78, I turned the heater up a bit a few minutes ago thinking he may be a little cold.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 60 gallon tank, about a week. Used filter media from my established tank that's been running 4-5 years

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Fluval 306 5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 6 juvenile zebra danios, 1 adult cherry barb, and 6 tiger barbs (2 each-green, albino and regular) none are full sized yet. 6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? Haven't done a wc yet as I've been testing water 2-3 times a day and haven't needed to. 7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Just got the tiger barbs yesterday. Put the bag in the tank for 30-45 minutes, then added a cup of the tank water every 30 minutes x3, then netted them and placed in the tank and discarded all water in the bag. 8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Fish 9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Just flake food. The barbs are greedy and always seem hungry. Is this a normal thing. I haven't had tiger barbs before and since the water is testing fine, and he swims normally most of the time, I'm hoping I'm worrying over nothing. Thanks.

Oh and I'm using an API master kit to do the testing and I always follow the directions to the letter.

I have a tiger barb tank and that is defiantly normal behavior. I have one that always hang out in the same area, almost behind the heater, and stay like that for half an hour. They seem to pick a favorite spot and hang out there occasionally. I wouldn't worry if he is also swimming around and interacting with the others.

Thank you so much. I stayed up late worrying about her but noticed after I turned the lights out that all the tiger barbs were in a similar position, all in the corner near the heater. They all are swimming around happily, interacting , ate great this morning and occasionally return to their spot in the corner and chill out. Even so hearing that this is normal is so relieving. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom