Glofish barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceangirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just was talking the other day with a petsmart employee and they said they would be getting Glow in the dark Tiger barbs. Yeah right I thought. Well, here is a link to Ebay. Apparently they are albinos it looks like with the glow gene. Any one have any info on them?

Electric Green "Glofish"® Barb Live Tropical Fish New Item | eBay

I'd like to keep a few in a 20 gallon tank with some glo danios? How do you stock a tank with tigers? How can you sex them at the pet store to make sure you have the female to male ratio?

They must have just recently came out with them, I just saw them at my LFS yesterday. I do think that they are just the albinos with the jellyfish gene. I honestly think that 29 gallon is the minimum tank size for them, just because of their activity level coupled with the need for a large school.......

I most likely won't stock them for a while, let the price go down. Those Glo tetras, were 4.99 each on sale! I just have the GloDanios in there now, and soon to add a pair of albino cories. Who knows when the price will drop and if it will. I have err had 8 danios but one of the larger ones bit the a smaller one and it went to the great pond. 7 should be an okay school right? I also have a molly in there on a BIG time out for eating about 20 dollars or so worth of plants! My hubby is just getting into the fish addict game. I let him design and pick out all the fish in this tank and it looks killer!

Yes, glofish are very expensive compared to the normal ones. And yes, 7 danios in a school of perfectly fine. You only have to think about getting more when the number drops down to less than 5 or 6.

I don't mean for them to drop off, I can't help if big red is a mean one. I added more plants and a floating one, and she seems to have stopped most of the chasing. She only doesn't like fish her color. Killed the only other red one.

I wouldn't do them in a community tank without a back up plan for them. Tiger barbs can be nasty. I've never heard of male to females ratios making a difference but I know I've often heard that a school of 8-9 or more is your best chance at keeping a community with them. The theory being they hassle each other so much they leave the others a lone. It's not a for sure though.. you could just end up with a large school of butt heads. I'd def go with a bigger tank and lots of hiding spots if you want to try em.

I've never seen em before either

I just was talking the other day with a petsmart employee and they said they would be getting Glow in the dark Tiger barbs. Yeah right I thought. Well, here is a link to Ebay. Apparently they are albinos it looks like with the glow gene. Any one have any info on them?

Electric Green "Glofish"® Barb Live Tropical Fish New Item | eBay

I'd like to keep a few in a 20 gallon tank with some glo danios? How do you stock a tank with tigers? How can you sex them at the pet store to make sure you have the female to male ratio?
i seen them at the petsmart in smyrna they are albino tiger barb glofish. like the tiger barb is brown and black. and the glofish electric green barb is neon green. but the new albino tiger barb has the same strips but they are like a cream color and the rest of the body is white but me personally their not that special. it basically looks like a white tiger barb with cream color stripes lol

Back
Top Bottom