Gnarly drift wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
My grandfather just gave me this cool piece of drift wood. He probably found it about 10 years ago on the beach. Since then it's been by the front of his house. Do you think I'll need to worry about tannins. It had already been soaking in the ocean for who knows how long? http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums...6-3108-445D-8E68-49EBDCD888F9_zpshwnncd8t.jpg my shoes are size ten.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Excellent specimen!! I'd boil some water and pour it over in the tub to disinfect, if it's been in the sun for some time and dry than its most likely cured and sterile.. never be too safe though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's been bleached white by the Sun so it's been soaking for some time. I'll boil some water just in case tho. Thanks

Nice I just found an awesome piece of dw down at the beach too that's been bleached similar to this. I was going to boil it just as I wasn't sure if there would be any problems with salt content...

Ya I'm little worried about leaching salt. Is your piece small enough to boil? Mine certainly isn't.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411954235.533561.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411954429.328537.jpg
Yeah mine are small enough to boil...well I have a large enough pot anyway. It was bigger but I knew Id need to cut it down to fit in the tank and also I'm away on holidays atm so to try and cart it back with me on a train for 5 hours is going to be awkward.

Mines going in a 55g so I need the biggest piece I can get. I'm just planning on filling the bath tube with hot water and letting the piece soak.

Yeah from readin on the internet most people soak them for a while. You should be able to smell the salt in the water when it's been soaking for a while.

Hoping the wood will sink haven't tried it yet.

I'm going to boil mine for two hours for the next five days while I'm still on break then soak it for a week and see where it is at.

Hi guys,
I have this cool piece of wood that was in my snake tank a few years ago. It's just been sitting around since. Are these types of terrarium decorations safe if treated in the same manner?

Hi guys,
I have this cool piece of wood that was in my snake tank a few years ago. It's just been sitting around since. Are these types of terrarium decorations safe if treated in the same manner?

It might not be. I'm not very experienced in this, but I'm pretty sure if it is made of grape wood- and I think most reptile driftwoods are- it is not safe.

Better safe than sorry!

I have heard reptile wood isn't good for aquariums. I'm not sure of anyways to make it it safe if there is any. I'd do a google search.

I wouldn't use the reptile deco, If waste has seeped into the wood it could potentially poison your fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom