All my fish died besides pleco after adding driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raynman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So last night I added quite a large piece of drift wood to my tank, all I did to prepare it was rinse it off as told by my lfs. I glued 3 java fern to it with aquarium safe glue, ethyl cyanoacrylate.

Now I've just come out this morning and every single fish has died besides my bristlenose pleco. To say I'm devastated would be an understatement. The tank has been set up for about 8 months and all the parameters are fine. Before adding the drift wood I did add 5 new fish, perhaps something was in the water with the new fish but I find that hard to believe.

Any ideas what may have caused this?

Two options which you can only evaluate with water test results.

Option 1: mini cycle caused by the 5 new fish. Ammonia and or nitrite killed by he fish.

Option 2: driftwood can cause ph to drop. If that happened too quickly it may have ph shocked your fish.

Test your tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph then check the ph of your source water and that will tell you which option is most likely

I doubt it was anything in the water itself that you added. An illness would have taken longer and showed symptoms and a toxin would have effected the fish at the store..

Sorry this happened to you, that’s very disheartening.

Back
Top Bottom