going for a vacation soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diesel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In August, I will be going for a vacation for 3 weeks.

my lfs would help me keep all the fish that I have.

but then if I took out all the fish, then all the tanks will need to be cycle again, is that right?

What should I do? I dont want to cycle all the tank again after I come back from the vacation.

it wont cycle again if you leave all the water, gravel and decor their...it will simply run as normal...just w/o the fish. i hope you have a really good trust with the lfs and if you do, thats great....but to my knowledge your tank will just have a bit of time to relax but the beneficial bacteria will still be there when you come back...good luck! :D

The issue is that there won't be ammonia being produced for the cycle to stay established. Without ammonia, the bacteria dies off. I wouldn't be concerned if it was for a week, but 3 weeks is quite a while. Since you have 3 tanks with fish, maybe you could take your fish to the lfs and get 3 automatic feeders. Then get maybe 1 or 2 small fish to temporarily inhabit each tank. Automatic feeders (the cheap ones) don't really put out enough food for an Oscar and your food options are limited. If it were my tanks and I couldn't get anyone to come by a feed my fish, that's what I would do.

No way you could get someone to come in and feed your fish a few times? I've been away for up to a month, and I had someone (who was well instructed in how to feed!) come in just a couple of times a week. Everyone stayed happy and healthy.

I think it would be a pain for you and stressful to the fish to do all that transferring back and forth.

I can't find anyone to come to my house to feed the fish, thats why I ask my lfs to keep it.

Maybe I can put some very hardy fish in there for 3 weeks, would it keep the good bacteria alive?

what are some good choices?

how about putting raw shrimp from the grocery store in the tanks? after all thats how u do a fishless cycle and it works...just a thought.... :roll:

Back
Top Bottom