Golden Nugget growth rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

I got my Golden Nugget on May 15th, almost 3 months ago. He seems fine, doesn't eat much of the pellets (I think) but he always feasts on zucchini and cucumber slices. He hides most of the time except when I stick the veggies on the glass with a clip, then he goes out and eats.

From time to time I see him cleaning the glass around the area where the vegies where the day before.

I know that he is supposed to grow pretty big, and definitely out grow my tank. I am getting a 50-55 gal custom made tank this Fall (as soon as the awesome outdoor activities weather we're enjoying this summer permits and indoor project!). So far i have not noticed much growth... I wonder if he is happy.

I got a nice piece of drift wood just for him, and all kind of algae wafers and other pellets, but nothing seems to attract him much.

Does anybody have any suggestions? :?

Thank you!

They are omnivourous, so make sure he is getting plenty of animal-based food as well....keep up with the water-changes (lots of water changes keep nitrates down and help speed growth)...and expect about 1cm of growth every 6-8 weeks.

I change 40% of the water weekly. NO3= 20ppm, NO2=0, NH3=0
I also feed them frozen blood worms after lights out 2-3 times a week, but I don't know if he is getting any of it.

Feed a bit just after lights out....and work on getting your nitrates to below 12ppm....increasing your schedule to 40% PWC every 5 days may help (I am assuming that you are already being careful to never overfeed).

Toirtis said:
(I am assuming that you are already being careful to never overfeed).
I'm not sure... It's hard to know when you have so many different fish competing for the food and you want to make sure that every one has at least some....

There is no food rotting on the bottom of the tank but, they do poop a lot! particularly when I give them veggies. I feed them once a day and two or three times a week I give them blood worms or algae wafers after the lights have been out for an hour or two. Is this OK?

My GN was doing excellent job of cleaning glass for about first 6 weeks. Then it got lazier, or smarter (or just wants some variety in its diet). Every time I feed fish, it comes out and seeks food at the bottom. It really likes algae tablets and shrimp pellets. It also eats fresh spinate, but completely ignores lettuce, zucchini, and cucumber.
I've read that GN grows to only 4-5 inches and can be easily kept in 30g. It is not a fast growing fish either.

Back
Top Bottom