Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

good choice? swordtails?

I decided to stock my tank!! I have FINALLY decided!!!

29 gallon

6 zebra danios(already in tank)
1 flame dwarf gourami
8 glowlight tetras(2 in tank)
3 corys(in tank)
3 swordtails(1 male 2 females)

what do you think? I've never kept swordtails before but I've kept platies

Old 06-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks like a good plan. Swordtails are basically the same as platies. Just remember that with all livebearers 1+1=1,000. Find a LFS that will buy your fry.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #3

yay! I've never had fry and I'll let them fend for themselves in the tank if they DO have fry...my gourami will eat some
Old 06-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I think it will be a nice tank of fish.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #5

thanks rich! I can't wait until all the fish get in there! but..I'll have to take it slow since there was a sickness in the tank..
Old 06-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Swordtails are actually the same genus as a platy but different species. A platy is Xiphophorus maculatus and a swordtail is Xiphophorus helleri. Same thing basically. Its weird, kinda like the gourami varieties which are considered seperate species instead of just varieties of the same species.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #7

ya. Sometimes its hard to tell the females apart :P
Old 06-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
sounds almost like my 29gal stocking list a year ago. it was a good tank, i liked it
Old 06-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I very much like my swordtails. I've lost one but the other two are doing well. They have been quite the adventure though, especially the amazing sex changing fish.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alshain
I very much like my swordtails. I've lost one but the other two are doing well. They have been quite the adventure though, especially the amazing sex changing fish.

they can do that? that's really freaky....
Old 06-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
i've never heard of swordtails being able to do that...
Old 06-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #12

Swordtails can't change sex! There's what's called dorment males. It's a male that the tail doesn't grow out til he reaches a older age. But not amale that turns into a female or female that turns into a male. There's just noway. That a male can grow reproductive organs. I'm sorry I just don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #13

lol...thats good! that would freak me out!:P
Old 06-08-2006, 08:54 AM   #14

Yea but I'd be rich off it. LOL if I had prove. LOL

Bettagirl, Do you keep betta's and if so what kind or spices and how many?
I breed bettas for a extra income. Ain't getting rich off them but paying a few bills off them. That's all that matters to me. LOL LMAO
Old 06-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Acer
swordtails are cool, i recently saw some new ones @ a local Petsmart, they were KOI SWORDTAILS, very nice, they were pretty much colored like they were labeled, orange & white... very nice guys, i bought a trio but for some reason my female blue acara decided there was more swordtails in the tank than she can stand and proceded to kill them, along with 1 pr of white sailfin molly's...
Old 06-09-2006, 06:05 AM   #16

I'm suprised anythingother then another cichlid like texas cihlid or jack dempeys would make it in the tank ith her at all. Green Terorties is the only thing I can keep with my Acura's
Old 06-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Acer
yah i had her in my 55 gal tank with 1 male blue acara, 3 angelfish, 4 neon dwarf rainbowfish, 5 danios, 1 blue eyed cichlid, 4 red swordtails, 4 striped raphael cats, 2 oil tatia cats, 1 bristlenose pleco, 6 panda cory... water quality stays great, i have an AC & a Whisper on that tank, also powerhead with pre filter i turn on once in a while to polish the water.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel F.
Swordtails can't change sex! There's what's called dorment males. It's a male that the tail doesn't grow out til he reaches a older age. But not amale that turns into a female or female that turns into a male. There's just noway. That a male can grow reproductive organs. I'm sorry I just don't see that happening anytime soon.
Yes, I was just joking. I ended up with a late blooming male that looked every bit like a female until it "changed". Unfortunately this meant I had 2 males and 1 female which I think is why my other male kept getting sick until it finally died. Keep in mind my tank is a 12 gallon. With your tank, even if you were to have the same occurance your fish would not get as stressed/picked on. The size of the tank and the number of fish would help avoid that.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #19
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DepotFish
kinda like the gourami varieties which are considered seperate species instead of just varieties of the same species.
That depends on which you're talking about. Blue, gold, opaline, lavender, and platinum gouramis are all color variants of Trichogaster trichopterus. Powder blue, fire red, and regular dwarf gouramis are all Colisa lalia. The list goes on and on.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Swords are cool. From your stocking, babies won't be an issue because the other fish and the swords will eat them all.

As for fish changing sex, there are tropical salt water species that do it all the time so it isn't that strange. There are also frogs that change sexes and a species of skink that has no male members, EVER! Anyway, after seeing a duck billed platapus how can anyone think nature can't do something! LOL. I had 2 swords I swore were females, 4 months old with an anal fin that was not pointed and looked like a female. Switched tanks and both of them turned out to be males! Sex change? I don't know but their anal fins changed completely. I have fry from the same males and the males already show at less than 2 months old.

Other than that, swords are awesome and have been one of my favorite fish since my first fish tank many years ago.

Tags
swordtails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com