good deal at mejier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
woohoo :)

I visted mejier today looking for reflectors for my MH project, and of course had to stop by the fish section

looks like mejier finally hired something care at least somewhat cares about fish - they had setup a very nice oscar display and a fry display

anyway, onto my deal

I was looking through their plants (they now mix them in the fish tanks, rather than all jammed into a single tank) ... they had a nice largish sword floating at the top of a tank, with it's roots being eaten off by plecos

so I bought it ... only $1.99

I get it home a few hours ago, and just now get round to unpacking and potting it.

so taking it out of it's bag, it falls apart in my hand, or so I thought ... rinsing it in some aged water, I find I actually received two plants, plus a BONUS

so I pot both new plants in this Schultz stuff to build up their roots, and I see the larger of the two is a proud mother ... with a flower stalk extending outward with at least 6 young daughters on it!

so ... as long as it survives and my pleco doesn't eat the daughters, I'll have gotten 8 plants for the price of one :)

I'm thinking it's Ozelot or Mellon?

It was labeled "Amazon Sword", but doesn't look anything like the Amazon Sword I have ... but I guess Amazon Sword is probably an umbrella covering several species from that region

here's a linked pic - your thoughts?

Newly acquired sword:
09/22/2003 sorry image no longer available

Old "Amazon Sword":
09/22/2003 sorry image no longer available

I have an Ozelot, it has leaves that are mottled green/brown/red when they start growing, then turn all green when large (Really large!) Not an expert, But I think you got a mellon sword.

It was labeled "Amazon Sword", but doesn't look anything like the Amazon Sword I have ... but I guess Amazon Sword is probably an umbrella covering several species from that region

Yes, some are different varieties from the wild, others have been Hybridized in the aquarium plant trade, just like the agriculture trade.

Back
Top Bottom