good external filter please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laur94x

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 138 litre (36 gallon I think?) Tropical tank with a interpet pf3 internal filter and also what I think is an interpet pf1 internal filter too. They don't seem to be doing a very good job though so I'm looking at external filters and have no idea where to start. Can anyone recommend a good external filter for my tank which isn't too expensive please? I'm in the uk. Thanks

Any opinions on this - Aquarium External Fish Tank Filter 1000L/H Free Filter Media All Pond Solutions 1000EF (Misc.)

It has very good reviews but idont know what to look for

Any opinions on this - Aquarium External Fish Tank Filter 1000L/H Free Filter Media All Pond Solutions 1000EF (Misc.)

It has very good reviews but idont know what to look for

I believe that's a canister filter, the one with the UV light in it.

It's 1400L per hour of 369.8 US GPH, for your 36 gallon that may be a bit overboard IMO.

Haven't heard heard much about them. Saw some reviews on YouTube and they were ok... Didn't really hear any 5 star reviews, at least I haven't.

Last edited:
Hi, what's the difference with a canister filter? And does that mean its not going to turn the tank over enough in an hour? Sorry I only know about internal filters

Canister filter is an external filter where the water is pumped into the canister, is forced through all the filter media and then pumped back into the tank. Canister filters do an excellent job of filtering your water as almost every bit of water is forced through the filter media and there is very little bypass. The filter mentioned above will turn your water over 10x in an hour, which is an exceptional amount. You are looking for 3-4x per hour minimum.

Look at the fluval 306 for your tank. Runs about US$110

Canister filter is an external filter where the water is pumped into the canister, is forced through all the filter media and then pumped back into the tank. Canister filters do an excellent job of filtering your water as almost every bit of water is forced through the filter media and there is very little bypass. The filter mentioned above will turn your water over 10x in an hour, which is an exceptional amount. You are looking for 3-4x per hour minimum.

Look at the fluval 306 for your tank. Runs about US$110

^^^ agreed and it is the filter I tonight it was.

http://youtu.be/kPTxIgEZHDw

So by the sounds of it its a good filter but I don't need one that turns over water quite that much? That review was for the 1400 litre per hour one, would the 1000 litre per hour one be suitable for my tank then? Fluval are looking quite expensive and to be honest I've just moved out so need as cheap as possible :s

So by the sounds of it its a good filter but I don't need one that turns over water quite that much? That review was for the 1400 litre per hour one, would the 1000 litre per hour one be suitable for my tank then? Fluval are looking quite expensive and to be honest I've just moved out so need as cheap as possible :s

Just throwing this out there. For a 36 gallon, have you thought of a HOB? Something like an aqua clear or penguin?

I thought a HOB was what my interpet internal filters are. Is that something different? Thanks

To be honest, I'm not fussed what type of filter it is, just want something which actually keeps my water clear. My water is constantly cloudy+dirty and I don't think my filters can even handle my bn plecos waste let alone the other little fish

To be honest, I'm not fussed what type of filter it is, just want something which actually keeps my water clear. My water is constantly cloudy+dirty and I don't think my filters can even handle my bn plecos waste let alone the other little fish

An HOB looks like this. For some reason I can't open the link you posted.

This is an example of a HOB

http://m.thatpetplace.com/aquaclear-110-power-filter-110-gal

Also what is your stock and water change schedule like? If your water is always dirty and cloudy I'm curious to know what you keeping and what your water changes are like.

Are you over feeding? Is the tank near a window? Is it cycled? How long had the tank been running?

And last for now, have you checked parameters?

Agree with Convict ... in a 36 gallon an HOB like an AquaClear 70 should do the trick .. even an AC-50 .. though with BN Pleco's you may want that extra filtration.

The cloudiness can be solved by adding more mechanical media. An AC-70 will come with nice sized block of foam, but I recommend adding 100% Poly-fill in place of the Carbon. You can buy it at an arts / craft store, Walmart, Kmart, Target etc.

An HOB looks like this. For some reason I can't open the link you posted.

This is an example of a HOB

AquaClear 110 Power Filter - Up to 110 gal. | ThatPetPlace.com

Also what is your stock and water change schedule like? If your water is always dirty and cloudy I'm curious to know what you keeping and what your water changes are like.

Are you over feeding? Is the tank near a window? Is it cycled? How long had the tank been running?

And last for now, have you checked parameters?

Current stock is -
5 guppies, 5 white fin rosy tetra, 3 albino cories + 1 bristlenose pleco. I normally do between about 15- 25% water change per week.
I feed every other day normally and not massive amounts. Actually yeah it was near a window, I moved the tank yesterday to my new flat but it is still near a window sort of. It is cycled and parameters are fine. Upgraded to this tank about 4 months ago using older filter media etc to cycle. Caused a mini cycle but controlled it with water changes

Aqua clears are harder to source here in the UK and so are the parts :(

Ugh:facepalm: ... That's a shame .. they're such good filters ... even when some make that annoying vibrating rattling sound. Not sure what the best UK available alternative to Aqua Clears would be, but I'm hearing the Fluval C series HOB's are up there with the Aqua Clears.

My filters at the moment just seem to clog up really quickly, I have to wash the media in tank water really often to keep them working

Sorry I am googling all of your suggestions, just on a reallyyyy slow blackberry lol, so excuse the delayed replies

Back
Top Bottom