Good glass sucker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I notice inside glass of my tank a kind of substance, slimy and one thin hair like every so CM apart. they are very small particles not big but it is all around my tank inside glass. What type of fish that doesnt grow bigger than 3 to 4 inches and eats all this can i get to clean up all that substance.

if getting a siamese or a small pleco would this be to much fish in my tank already?

the pleco would definitely be too much, you are at a pretty good load, but I think it would be ok, just watch your readings.

Depends on what kind of pleco he gets, really. If he gets one of the very small varieties he could probably get away with it, but I'd just get a few otocinclus.

I research that the Otocinclus grows up to six inches isnt this to much though or am I wrong.

Otto's rarely get bigger than 1 to 1.5 inches long. They mostly eat brown algae. WHat color is the stuff on your glass? Perhaps test for phosphate and nitrate... maybe you can eliminate the nutrient that is causing the algae to grow.

A nifty little pleco type that is an excellent glass cleaner and algae eater is Parotocinclus jumbo, often called the pit bull pleco. You might want to get 3 for your tank. They are not big waste producers, much like the otocinclus, but IMO are better at general algae cleanup.

siamese algae eaters get to be about 5-6", so are probably too much for your tank. i have a dwarf albino bristlenose that is about 2" and not really growing who could work for you. i also have a couple of farlowella vittatas (twig catfish) that are good algae eaters, especially for planted tanks--they grow very long--up to 6" but are really really really skinny and supercool. i've seen mine sucked up to the glass quite often.

http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/farlowel/330_f.php

hth

Back
Top Bottom