Gourami I.D. Please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, a woman at work has offered me her gourami because it is fighting with another gourami. Before I take it, I need to know what type of gourami it is and what it's requirements are. She said when she bought it that it was just labelled 'gourami'.
I need to know in partiular what size it will get to. This was the best picture she could get of it. Thanks in advance for your help :)

Attachments

• image-3822890652.jpg
    image-3822890652.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 112
Ok, I googled gold gourami and sent her a picture. She says it looks like that but it's blue. Is that just another colour variation, or a different fish? How big do they get, and would they be ok to go with guppies (maybe keep the babies under control? ;) ), ottos, corys, and blue tetras? Thanks for your advice :)

maybe a pearl but almost certainly a blue. They can get up 3.5
inch and are peaceful, hardy, and entertaining. He looks like
a male ( males should not be kept with other males, and if kept w
females, they need at least 4 to avoid agression ) regardless
of what exact type, these air breathers are some of the
best fresh water fish you can own. Im always entertained
By my gourami's antics. You put that guy in some water right?
i cant believe you were holding him by his fin : p

Absolutely not...No way you can put him in a 10 gallon with all those fish!! The gouarmi is best suited to a 55 gal tank.

siva said:
Absolutely not...No way you can put him in a 10 gallon with all those fish!! The gouarmi is best suited to a 55 gal tank.

I didn't say I was going to put him in a 10 gallon tank.

Oh your tank with those fish is listed as a 10 gal and I thought we had talked previously about getting the babies under control in there so that's what I thought ;)

siva said:
Oh your tank with those fish is listed as a 10 gal and I thought we had talked previously about getting the babies under control in there so that's what I thought ;)

Nah, if I take him, I'd get a much bigger tank. I just needed to know what he was so I could research more. That way I'd know what size tank I would need to get and if he would be compatible with my existing fish who would have to come into the larger tank (our landlord only allows us to have one tank :( ) thanks for your advice siva :)

Oh, and my current tank is a 10 uk gallon tank. About 12.8 us gallons. I know it's not big enough for the gourami, just wanted to point that out :)

Oh I see! I've just been talking with another member on here who has one. She tried to mix it with tetras and livebearers and he's just vicious and loves killing his tankmates. She has him in a tank to himself now. I think they are best suited to semi-aggresive tank set-ups with fish similar in size :(

Oh, and my current tank is a 10 uk gallon tank. About 12.8 us gallons. I know it's not big enough for the gourami, just wanted to point that out :)

That's right! I did put it into a conversion calculator when we talked before lol I couldn't live without those things ;)

siva said:
That's right! I did put it into a conversion calculator when we talked before lol I couldn't live without those things ;)

Cool :) most people just assume I'm talking in us gallons. I know it's only a little bit of a difference, but it's still nearly 3 gallons more :) nice to find someone that converts it ;)

Back
Top Bottom