Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Graval to sand

Recently rescued a red wolf fish from a neighbor and had no choice but to put him in an uncycled tank... It is a 55 gallon and he is in there by himself.... I am having issues keeping my ammonia down even with 30-50 percent water changes daily with prime.... I have been doing this for nearly a month and ain't seeing any relief! I have more then enough filtration( aqua clear 70 and a aqueon filter for up to 45 gallons) I also have a bubble wall and a bubbling decoration I have been trying to keep the ammonia below .25 and it's posing a problem sometime rising above to .50...... I have a gravel substrate and was thinking of changing to sand as it helped with keeping waste on the top in my other tank..... I have a spare (empty) 36 gallon I could put him in for a few days well the sand settles after filling.... My question is if I use the current water from his tank to fill the 36 and put both my filters on it will I lose any or all of the progress I had made with the cycle?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It shouldn't be a problem so long as you keep the filters intact. What is the ammonia level of your tap water? You may be trying to fight something you have little control over. Also try feeding less until the cycle completes, like every other day feed only a little bit.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #3

Tap water is 0 thanks for the reply
Old 03-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urnonsnewman
Recently rescued a red wolf fish from a neighbor and had no choice but to put him in an uncycled tank... It is a 55 gallon and he is in there by himself.... I am having issues keeping my ammonia down even with 30-50 percent water changes daily with prime.... I have been doing this for nearly a month and ain't seeing any relief! I have more then enough filtration( aqua clear 70 and a aqueon filter for up to 45 gallons) I also have a bubble wall and a bubbling decoration I have been trying to keep the ammonia below .25 and it's posing a problem sometime rising above to .50...... I have a gravel substrate and was thinking of changing to sand as it helped with keeping waste on the top in my other tank..... I have a spare (empty) 36 gallon I could put him in for a few days well the sand settles after filling.... My question is if I use the current water from his tank to fill the 36 and put both my filters on it will I lose any or all of the progress I had made with the cycle?
The bb are inside the filter media. So if you move both your filters the 55 wont have any kind of bb to help finish the cycling. What kinda test are you using? Have you tested your tap water to see if you have any ammonia? The bubble walls wont reduce any of the ammonia at all.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #5

I just wanna move the to the 36 for the 2 day he will be in there till the sand settles from filling
Old 03-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just move the smaller of the 2 filters and leave the biggest one. You'll need to put a piece of pantyhose over the intake, so the sand wont destroy your impeller.

Tags
sand, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com