Gravel - is this too big in size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey, are there bowfront underground filters or do you just get one to fit a 12" x 24" tank?

Also, if I am going to have a Fluval 304 - should I also use an UGF with something like a powerhead and filter for media filtration?

Thanks

UGFs are basically a nitrate factory. Most people have abandoned them, and I suggest you do the same. They were all the rage in the 80s and early 90s, but they have shown to be problematic.

A quality HOB or a small cannister filter will do a better job than any UGF. Plus, some fish like to dig up the substrate, rendering an UGF useless.

ok...I thought i read that they were good. Sounds better not to have one to me. I rather not have had one, seem like more of a mess. I was going to do it because i thought it would filter what hit the rocks.

Then Ill skip, but I will still have a small powerhead to move water...if this filter does not do the trick.

Thanks for your opinions.

sdveirs said:
I have a python, i just hate vacuming :)

My hands are freezing right now from the ice cold water I used to clean the pea gravel I just got free.

I went to Luck Stone to buy some 3/8 pea gravel and when I said how much I wanted they said, here is a bag, go fill it up, its gonna cost $1 - LOL.

When I went back in, the guy said, just take it. Wasn't worth this time to ring up $1.

Here is what I got - They call it Pee Dee http://www.luckstone.com/arch/products/swatches.php?CategoryId=1&pagenum=2

normal-AGPEE2SWAPRO1A.jpg

My own photo:
peedee3.jpg

Not bad for free. I might have plenty of left over. The bag was about 60 lbs - heavy SOB. Maybe more.[/img][/url]
[/img]

Holy christ, I just dumped a small bucket of it in my tank - which was about 1/4 the bag, and it was plenty! LOL

Will post a picture in a moment. - here they are.

peedee1.jpg

peedee2.jpg

Is the stone too big? I can always put a layer of smaller substrate down. I have plenty.

I am no fan of UGFs, but I just had to answer the original question for the sake of answering it....yes, there are...in fact, I have one for a tank about the size of yours...someone gave it to me, and I have no idea why I haven't auctioned it off yet...just forgetful, I guess.

you can create an illusion of depth by gradually increasing the depth of the substrate bed from front to back...and by using different sized decorations...
btw...i think it looks great...i'll take it if you don't want it... :mrgreen:

no no...i was just joking...
but thanks for the offer... :)

on second thoughts, if you can get hold of some java moss...try it (if its not going to be a planted tank)...it would cover up your gravel nicely...

Back
Top Bottom