Gravel or Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graphicpunk

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I picked up a 20 gallon tank and I am picking up another 20 gallon either tomorrow or Saturday to split up my fish from the pond. Anyway my main tank/display tank is a 55 gallon and I am debating on weather or not to switch out the gravel for sand?

What are the pros and cons of sand vs. gravel? I already have quite a bit of gravel in the 55gallon but I think I would like sand better.

I know one con with gravel is the fish can eat the gravel and choke on it but I imagine gravel would be easier to clean? Can you use a gravel filter on sand? Can I just go to my local Home Depot and pick up some 50lb bags of sand or do I need special sand?

Thanks for your input!

you would need pool filter sand and one con for sand and that you lose some every time you vacuum it.

Are you talking about when you clean it?

Can you mix gravel and sand?

PFS!!!!!!!! I switched recently from gravel to that and it's the best decision I've made for my aquarium yet. It drastically cut down on water changes and things like that.

You can mix gravel and sand, I really like that mix TBH. I have a mix of dirt, gravel, and sand in my brackish tank and it is wonderful! The plants love it too.
I'm probably going to make a mix of gravel and sand in my 20g and full sand in my 55g.
I personally find sand easier to clean, since the waste sits directly on top of the sand.

Morgie;1549047 I personally find sand easier to clean said:
and not only its easier it looks more natural and bottom feeders love it and plants do too, also it looks diertier quick cuz u can see the waste all off the time

I've switched all my tanks over to sand and will never go back to gravel!

I do have to mention though, that unlike aa108, I have never sucked sand up my python while doing a water change. Never.

+1 for sand!

I actually haven't had to vac any waste off my sand in almost 6 months; I only have to do my PWCs. The most I do is pick out a dead plant leaf or stem with my extendo-grabbers.

Between the light current in my tank and my very active bottom fish, waste is broken apart/kicked up and picked up by my two filters that I rotate cleaning on a somewhat inconsistent basis.

I'm fairly confident that there's not waste hiding anywhere, the tank has remained at 0/0/10-20 with weekly 25-40% PWCs since I happened upon this circumstance a while back.

When I did vac it though, even my fine black fluorite sand was hard pressed to be picked up by the suction that the Python provided.

Do you ever get cloudy water with sand. I used 'Play' sand, rather than PFS and it is still not 100% clear. Seems to take a few hours to clear after PWC and any agitation.

I have play sand in one of my tanks, and I haven't really seen a difference between it and PFS, other than slight color and texture differences. How big is your tank? Small tanks cloud more easily than larger ones. My 10g will cloud up for a bit after a PWC, but my 55g stays clear because it's taller and all the agitated sand stays near the bottom.

I have play sand in one of my tanks, and I haven't really seen a difference between it and PFS, other than slight color and texture differences. How big is your tank? Small tanks cloud more easily than larger ones. My 10g will cloud up for a bit after a PWC, but my 55g stays clear because it's taller and all the agitated sand stays near the bottom.

same here with my 75 gal

Back
Top Bottom