Greater Siren eating habits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Gillman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone give me any info on feeding habits of greater sirens?Mine is about 18" long and seems healty.He lives in a 55gl with about 10 other critters.Recently he was being attacked by a large asian algae eater which i then removed and traded at lfs.I have not seen him eat in over a week.His diet consists mainly of frozen beef heart and blood worms. Thanks

Never heard of a greater siren. Do you have a scientific name. An 18" fish in a 55gallon along with 10 other fish is liable to be pushing the bio load. Plus beef heart is very messy and quickly will pollute the water if uneaten.

Just my guess but I'm thinking you've got a water quality problem and that's why this fish has gone on a hunger strike. Especially if it's eaten what you've offered in the past. I would do a 50% water change and hopefully the improvement in water quality will stimulate the fish to eat in the next 24 hours. Do you regularly change the water? How much and how often?

HTH

maybe this is it:

greater siren (Siren lacertina)
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/wildlife/species/display.asp?id=020058

or http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/content/animals/species/4456.html

ar0051_1m.jpg

That is my tank monster indeed.This evening he ate almost a whole cube for the first time this week until the pleco took over.I think he was stressed because of the algae eater always latching onto him and screwing with his slime coat.I do indeed do regular water changes.The tank has 2 power heads on undergravel filter and a 30/60 hang on and 25 hang on filters.Water quality has never been an issue.He shares the tank with 2 large angels,1 pleco,1 krebinsis chiclid,3 platys,2 gold barbs,2 cherry barbs,2 rosey barbs,3 brichardis,1 upsidedown cat and 1 large blue gourami.The tank is an active community.

Wow...Where did you obtain him from?

Do you have any other aggression issues?

It does sound like the pleco could be causing him stress.

Good luck!!

I do hope you realize you will be needing a BIG tank once that baby grows full size? If you cannot take care of him properly when he reaches full size, please return him to your lfs or someone who can give him all the room he needs. I just read they can reach up to 24"-36", so you know what's coming 8O

Back
Top Bottom