Green Algae Boom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Currently I am having an immense algae boom. Algae is just everywhere, on my glasses and my ornaments.

It was minor at first and then it grew rapidly after my kribensis had babies. I started feeding more since I understand that it is essential for the fries to eat more than once a day. I feed the fries roughly 3 times a day.

9am - a hint of Hikari first bites (injected with a syringe)
7pm - New born baby brine shrimps
10pm - a pea size yolk mixed in water injected by syringe.

I tested my water and my parameters seem ok.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm (actually between 0 and 5, it was slightly darker yellow but not orange)

This is a 55g tank with an emperor 400 on one side and aquaclear on the other side.

My current lighting is a 2bulb 54w fishneedit fixture. 1 bulb is a 6700k and the other bulb is an actinic bulb. I leave it on for about 10-12 hours during the day. I am looking into a good timer to invest in.

I also noticed my MTS started to overpopulate because I now see them in the daylight. Back then I only see them at night.

My current stocking are:
1 pair of kribensis
At least 3-4 weeks old 89 kribensis fries
1 albino pleco

I also currently have 9 anubias on stones and my driftwood. I have about 6 bunches of java fern and another 10 anubias coming within next two weeks. I am not dosing any C02 at all. No tablets or pressurizer.

I was thinking of something I can do that would remove the algae without scrapping it off. I have been doing multiple 20% pwc during the week but I am afraid it might hurt my plants because it limits their nutrients.

Ideas?

I found the best way to combat a similar problem was a total blak out fr three days reduced lighting and lots water changes. Good luck

My plants were ok with the blackout, actually looked much better with all the alge off them!

How much water change did you do? I am planning to do 20% pwc everyday for the next few days. And I am going to blackout for 2-3days. I also added 3 big apple snails to help me consume the algae.

Back
Top Bottom