Green algae/diatoms growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do I keep green algae and diatoms from growing. I have an otocinclus, but for some reason he's not cleaning the back glass. I do plan on getting a few more otos to help him out, though. I don't really want a pleco cuz I heard that they are poop machines and just add more to the bioload. The tank has been established for 2 years and I've always had diatoms.IMG_6107.jpg

Maybe start with a few more otos; I believe they're schooling fish and prefer to be in groups.
Is your tank positioned so that it gets direct sunlight, or even strong ambient sunlight?
Live plants, if you can grow them may also help, as they'll use many of the same nutrients that algae needs to survive, I believe.

Ottos like groups...6 give or take. I know tank is full now. Youve given us alot of info on your tank through your posts. I have seen some people just always fight diatoms. High silicates in source? Is it really diatoms? I believe you switched to leds so it not a weak bulb. If your certain youve exhausted all options then try some media to remove it.

The picture...maybe gda? Does it scrape off easy?
I think algae may always be issue to some degree as the amount of food going in too feed your stock is high.

Maybe start with a few more otos; I believe they're schooling fish and prefer to be in groups.
Is your tank positioned so that it gets direct sunlight, or even strong ambient sunlight?
Live plants, if you can grow them may also help, as they'll use many of the same nutrients that algae needs to survive, I believe.

It gets no sunlight; just light from the fish light I have on the tank and light from my bedroom light.

Back
Top Bottom