Green hair algae- the constant battle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was hoping for some tips to get rid of this immortal green hair algae. It's been a constant battle the last few weeks- I suck up and scrape off a bunch every week with a water change, but it comes back in full force by the end of the week. It's all stringy and gross, and it's starting to cover the leaves on my plants. I've tried hand-scraping it off the leaves, but either I can't really get it off or I rip the leaves. It's really gross looking. I'm thinking of getting a couple nerite snails to help out. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. This is the worst algae problem I've ever had, yech.
Are those commercial algae-gone type products any good?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This type of algae is extremely fast growing. Consider a "bad" algae that usually grows on plant leaves and weaves its way in and around creating thick matted clumps. It is bright green in color and has a very fine slimy texture. Individual strands can grow as long as 20 cm. Cannot be removed easily mechanically. If left unchecked it will spread and overtake an aquarium under good water conditions. The situation that causes green hair algae to bloom is usually a combination of excessive lighting, high levels of dissolved organics and/or nutrient imbalance, in particular, excessive iron.  
  If you're having green hair algae problems try removing as much algae as possible with a tooth brush or with your fingers. Then add some SAE's and Amano Shrimps to your tank. These algae eaters will quickly control and eventually eliminate this type of algae from your tank. Smaller types of shrimps also eat this algae but not as effective as Amano's and SAE's.

If it's an excess nutrient problem, several good water changes should help, too.

I'm having a similar problem in my shrimp tank. No ferts added although the lighting is a bit high (Finnex 24/7 LED on 24/7 mode). Tank is full of moss and subwassertang. Shrimp are not over fed.
The string algae may have been introduced with the addition of moss balls or moss. Was infrequent at first and now each week I'm combing algae out of the tank with toothbrush.
Not meaning to hijack, just commiserating. Never had this problem when I was using less light (dual T5 normal output bulbs). The 24/7's light output is adjustable so I might scale it back a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think this is an excess nutrient problem. Only because EI dosers consistently prove excess nutrients do lot CAUSE algae.

The causes of algae are still under much debate and I can't really give any advice on why it is persisting.

What I do know and have consistently witnessed (not always in my tank) is that healthy plants tend to keep algae away. In the words of Tom Barr. Do not focus on algae, only growing plants and algae will take care of itself.

I think this is where the next thing I am going to say comes from. Hair algae is normally attributed to low co2 levels. Focus on ensuring your plants have everything they need With no shortage and algae will not show up especially on leaves.

Last edited:
I think this is where the next thing I am going to say comes from. Hair algae is normally attributed to low co2 levels. Focus on ensuring your plants have everything they need With no shortage and algae will not show up especially on leaves.

I suspect this is right. When I was (inadvertently) overdosing Excel, the algae almost vanished. Now that I've started using the prescribed dose, it's starting to reappear.

I really need to get that DIY CO2 set up going. And get some amano shrimp. :fish2:

Hm. I have a divider, and the algae is almost exclusively popping up on the side more exposed to a window, so I'm guessing that is part of the problem. I could potentially cover the side of the tank, even though it wouldn't look too nice. Would that help? Are there any easy ways to help get more CO2 in the water?
I don't have room for SAEs, and Amano shrimp freak me out, so hopefully I can manage it without those.
I've been doing more frequent water changes and that keeps it relatively in control once I suck some up with my gravel vac.

Oops, one more thing. I've been meaning to get more plants for that area- that is a good idea to battle the algae? Won't the new plants just get smothered too?

Hm. I have a divider, and the algae is almost exclusively popping up on the side more exposed to a window, so I'm guessing that is part of the problem.

You might want to experiment by putting a piece of Styrofoam on that side to cover the glass. I've seen some people do that to control algae near windows.

Hm. I have a divider, and the algae is almost exclusively popping up on the side more exposed to a window, so I'm guessing that is part of the problem. I could potentially cover the side of the tank, even though it wouldn't look too nice. Would that help? Are there any easy ways to help get more CO2 in the water?
I don't have room for SAEs, and Amano shrimp freak me out, so hopefully I can manage it without those.
I've been doing more frequent water changes and that keeps it relatively in control once I suck some up with my gravel vac.

Keeping the tank clean is a good start including filter cleaning. Reducing the light intensity will reduce the demand for carbon. Ensure a photoperiod of no more than 8-10 hours but preferably 8. You can add liquid carbon or you could increase surface agitation. This will give keep you closer to equilibrium values of about 0.5-0.6ppm co2 and increase oxygenation which is always a good thing. 0.5ppm may not sound like a lot compared with the 30ppm the co2 injectors try to aim for BUT this 0.5ppm is constantly being replenished. It gives the plants a chance to adapt to this low level of co2 and works for many.

I suspect this is right. When I was (inadvertently) overdosing Excel, the algae almost vanished. Now that I've started using the prescribed dose, it's starting to reappear.

I really need to get that DIY CO2 set up going. And get some amano shrimp. :fish2:

I had this problem for several years. Much Javamoos was spoiled me. Much I tried, nothing helped. Then I ordered 15 amano shrimp. Only I have seen them little. Later they started to remove the algae. The other floating plants I have taken out. At some point the green hair algae all. It takes a long time.
The shrimp probably prefer new shoots. The algae growth ends.

So Arthur, it was a combination of Amano shrimp + Time? I may try that along with diligent physical removal and less light.
Was hoping to keep my shrimp tank RCS only (because the amanos can become pigs at feeding time) but willing to try anything at this point.

So Arthur, it was a combination of Amano shrimp + Time? I may try that along with diligent physical removal and less light.
Was hoping to keep my shrimp tank RCS only (because the amanos can become pigs at feeding time) but willing to try anything at this point.

If it's getting that bad maybe increased co2 will help.

Have a look at this thread for no co2 tanks with a good volume to surface ratio such as yours.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/co2-in-a-low-tech.24918/

Caliban07 is right...liquid carbon in the form of Flourish Excel took care of my horrible algae problem. I also dropped six tiger nerites in my tank and not only are they beautiful, but with the Excel Flourish...POOF!!!....algae under control! An inexpensive and fun way to do it as I have never had snails before.

I might try excel flourish then. And get a couple nerites.

Try dosing some Excel. I was speaking with a rep from Seachem at a coral swap and during the course of our conversation we got on the subject of hair algae. He had told me that one of the side effects of Excel was that it kills algae. I tried it and he was right. Within a couple of weeks of dosing, all of the hair algae died off. Its also safe with invertebrates which was important since I have shrimp in the tank. Most algaecides are not invertebrate friendly.

My only trick to get rid of GHA is hydrogen peroxide treatments. But there are some species that don't do well with it. I think shrimp would get quoted it with peroxide treatments. But you can do a hydrogen peroxide dip with your plants. I don't have any good links anymore but you can find some good articles about it by googling.

Hydrogen peroxide is more of a treatment for the symptoms not na prevention though. It's cheap and it works though. You can buy hydrogen peroxide at most chemists.

Edit it will kill your beneficial bacteria so n remove filter medias before treatment and di a bit of research about which species will be harmed by the treatments.

Try dosing some Excel. I was speaking with a rep from Seachem at a coral swap and during the course of our conversation we got on the subject of hair algae. He had told me that one of the side effects of Excel was that it kills algae. I tried it and he was right. Within a couple of weeks of dosing, all of the hair algae died off. Its also safe with invertebrates which was important since I have shrimp in the tank. Most algaecides are not invertebrate friendly.

I can attest to this. For a while I was dosing my 20-long with 2.5x the recommended daily dose of Excel -- quite by accident: I misread the instructions. :facepalm:

But, the hair and other algae that had started in the tank was wiped out. I've only seen it start to reappear after going back to a normal dosage.

What is the original purpose of excel? Is it harmful to fish/plants?

It supplies a form of carbon that can be used by plants. Not quite as effective as using actual CO2.
It also acts as an algaecide against certain types of algae.
There are some plants that cannot tolerate it and may basically melt from its use (notably anacharis and valisneria).
If used in excess, it can be harmful to plants and fish.

I use Flourish Excel religiously and it is amazing stuff. My plants are healthy and ZERO algae! Helps to have a few Tiger Nerites and some otos too. :)

Back
Top Bottom