Green Neon Tetras, a question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E-cubed

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am considering adding a few of these to my 10 gallon tank. It seems that I read that this "Neon" stays smaller than the regular Neon or the Cardinal Tetra, and that of the three, the Cardinal is the largest. But I can't find the reference anywhere, and I have looked for a few days now. Do any of you have experience with this little fish? :confused:

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Green Dwarf Tetra, Odontocharacidium aphanes? :confused:

As opposed to the Green Neon Tetra, Paracheirodon simulans, which is a variation of the Neon Tetra... :)

No, I was thinking of the Green Neon, the Paracheirodon simulans. (I have never seen the Green Dwarf Tetra.) The link you gave says it only gets to 2.5cm. Thanks for that! That is a bit smaller than the Neon that according to the same source gets to 3cm. It also seems to be a thinner body than the other two, at least from the examples I have seen in local fish stores. Maybe they are juveniles though.

Any experience with this "Green Neon"?

As already mentioned the green neon is a variation of the neon tetra. That being said, it will grow to the same size as the neon tetra.

I asked this question because I have a school of Ember Tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae) that are described as getting to 2.0 cm. I was going to keep those in a species tank, want more flash, but nothing any larger. At www.fishbase.org I searched for Tetras and found that they describe the Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi) as getting to 2.2 cm, the Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi) as growing to 2.5 cm and the Green Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon simulans) as growing to 2.0 cm. So, if I am to believe this database, the Green Neon Tetra is indeed a little bit smaller than the other two similar looking fish. I also looked up a Tetra available now at my LFS, unknown to me, the Jellybean Tetra (Lepidarchus adonis). It is described as growing to only 2.1 cm.

So, if I am to believe this data base, the The Green Neon Tetra will be somewhat smaller and from the looks of the fish in the store (granted, these may be young fish), they seem to have a somewhat shallower body. I now need to make some choices...

Back
Top Bottom