Green Spotted Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Javespher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I have a baby green spotted puffer in my 5 gallon tank, I've been reading that they need a 30 gallon tank but I don't have one currently, why does a 20 gallon tank is not recommended?

Also how much time do I have to transfer him to a larger tank?

I'm currently making 50% water changes every week.

Thanks for the support.

You need the new tank as soon as possible. Only genetics will determine how quickly an individual fish grows. Some grow super fast, others slowly. That's for all species.

As for tank size, that's determined by fish size, amount they poop, what they eat, how messy of an eater they are, how much they like to roam/move around, etc. A little fish that poops a lot will need a bigger tank than a medium fish that only poops once a week (not that such a fish exists but you get the idea).

Puffers put out a lot of waste are are horribly messy eaters. The tank recommendation is bare minimum for the fish to survive, but bigger is always better. Plus maintaining stable parameters is easier with a higher volume.

What BlackBerry said!!! Excellent post. I have 3 in a 40b. 2 are the same size and one is a 4x the size. They're pretty resilient fish. I'm not going to lie, I only do a 50% wc monthly. Top off with tap water. I clean the filter every week though. They're probably 3-4 years old. Had them for a while.

Back
Top Bottom