Green Water is CURED!!! Finally!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
piranha said:
Gfink : How could raising nitrate levels clear up green water? Nitrate is what plant life thrives on.I have been told that high phosphates will promote growth.

Phosphate and Nitrates are both fertilizers. It is the ratio that promotes one type of growth over the other. I'm no expert, but I tried EVERY technique you can think of over 3 months, and Malkore who is an advisor suggested raising my nitrates so I had approx 10:1 ratio with phosphates.

That worked for me.

FYI I had to use phosphate absorbing media to bring my tap water (4ppm) down to 0.5-1 ppm. then I raised my nitrates up to 10 or so, and viola! I also have real plants in ther now, so maybe they are helping too.

Hey guess what! Although I hadn't got my water tested for phosphates, I know that there is a lot in there as i was unknownwingly adding ph down (sodium biphosphate). So then yes..... I let the nitrates go up by missing my weekly water change. By the end of the week, the nitrates will prob be 40 mg/l. So after that i've been keeping my aquarium lights off since ive only two amzon swords which are still looking healthy. Now, its one week later and the water is almost totally clear!!!!! :mrgreen: Great advice!

So Lisa Lev, keep your lights off if you know the plants can handle it and don't do any additional water changes! It works!

I tried the blackout for 3 days - and it did help some, but obviously there is something else going on. Had the water tested last night - ammonia, .25; nitrates 40 ?; nitrites, zero; and phosphates .2. Funny they don't normally test phosphates unless you ask. Anyway, I got that medium and stuck that in with my filter last night, so we'll see if that helps. I also uncovered the tank. The two at the lfs didn't seem to think that was a good idea.

0.2 ppm phosphates isn't very much, I don't think that is the problem in your case.

I had 2.0 ppm.

Ok, I could be wrong. It may have been 2.0.... It seems to be working (the medium). It is definitely less green. We'll see over the next couple of days.

The two at the lfs didn't seem to think that was a good idea.

They are wrong, covering the tank, adding an Airstone to keep the surface agitated (algae die-off produces massive amounts of Co2) keeps the fish going.

I reduced my lighting period to 1 hour per day, kept a blanket over the tank (thick enough to block out all lighting) fed the fish 1/2 hour after the light went on. water was clear after a week.

If you are using a blackout method and the tank is "blacked out" then a 10-20% water change will help clear it up faster, the water changes only hurt when there is a light source (you're feeding the greenwater) even at reduced lighting (1hour/day) a PWC can help expedite the removal.

Ok, me again. Still green. Used PhosGuard for four days. I will probably get another water test tonight, and then do another PWC, and then a blackout. Maybe I'll try another pet store...

:D So is mine!!! It still didn't look much different after I pulled the phosphate medium, so I took a sample to LFS, and everything tested ok. Unfortunately he dumped it before I could ask for the phosphate test. He suggested a 30% water change, so I did. Lo and behold, it's gone!! I can now see the back of the tank! I'm still leaving the light off during the day while we're gone, though, just to be safe. :D 8O

sorry... It may grow back.
Mine again went slightly green as 75% of my tank still has lots of phosphates. So i do water changes until phosphates are gone and then it will remain clear..

Mine is getting clearer every day. I can finally see the background on the back of the tank!! I still think it has something to do with our hard/soft water. Our water softener ran out of salt in early February, just about the time this algae problem cropped up. Now we have soft water again, and the problem's gone. Go figure!

You guys are not alone...I've been brewing up a batch of split pea soup in my tank these past few days. I will try to read and learn from this thread.

Still slightly green :( Still havn't got enough money to buy plants or phosphate absorbing media

Mine is still clear. I used the 2.1 oz bag of Phosguard ($7) for 4 days on my 20 gallon tank. It didn't go away until I did a 30% water change, a few days later. And again, soft water this time.

Green Water SOlution {pics}

Well, I found a solution, and its getting better everyday! :) :mrgreen:

This is what is used to help balance out the water and to reduce phosphates. Even though it says that it elminiates water changes for 6 months i do not use it for that purpose. This stuff is only good for algae and clearing up water.

Well heres the bottle

Attachments

• tetrasolution.jpg
    tetrasolution.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 89
Phosphates will still be in the water after going through a water softner. Phosphates don't contribute to hard water.

... ok I'll hold off on the chemisry this time...

Back
Top Bottom