Guess the fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russianaquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have litterely no clue what kind of fish this is, bought them 1 dollar a piece when they were about 1 cm big now they have a design so should be easier to guess i guess haha. Thanks. And Im telling you taking pictures of fish reallly sucks, they won't stop moving...

Attachments

• DSCF0782.jpg
    DSCF0782.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0786.jpg
    DSCF0786.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 80
Leopard Danio?

For easier pics, take a short video, then play it back and screenshot.

Look the fish straight in the eye. Hover the pinch of food 2" above the water and firmly say "STAY".

Ah! I knew leopard Danio wasn't right. Good catch :)

Looks like you have them in with guppies? Just keep an eye on them. As they mature, they'll become fairly aggressive and may start harassing your guppies.

From the pic, it looks like you have male and female. Do you know how to check? (Same as guppies, just have a quick peek at the anal fin. Males will have a "rod" fin, females will have a "fan" fin). Watch out for that, too. Also the same as guppies, these guys can get their breed on.

Ah! I knew leopard Danio wasn't right. Good catch :)

Looks like you have them in with guppies? Just keep an eye on them. As they mature, they'll become fairly aggressive and may start harassing your guppies.

From the pic, it looks like you have male and female. Do you know how to check? (Same as guppies, just have a quick peek at the anal fin. Males will have a "rod" fin, females will have a "fan" fin). Watch out for that, too. Also the same as guppies, these guys can get their breed on.

Goodeids actually don't have a gonopodium like the more common livebearers. The male will have a little notch in their anal fin that the females won't.

Awesome I put them in my brothers 30 gallon, because they were very tiny when I got them and didn't want to put them in the 60 because I have guramies and angels. But can you guys tell me a little about them, will they breed? Will the angels eat the fry? How big do they grow? Thanks

If I recall correctly:

Fairly easy to breed.
Grow to 3-4 inches.
Can live for 3-4 years.
Need a minimum of 20g.

Angels and any other omni/carnivorous fish will eat at least anything that'll fit in its mouth, and many fish will tackle larger.

If you end up with fry, I'd grow them out to a decent size before putting them in with anything else.

Back
Top Bottom