Guppies attacking swordtails.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Afoster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

Today I just bought two swordtails to put into my "male" tank.
I have two tanks, a male and a female, as when I first bought my fish the store only had female guppies. About a month later one popped out a baby, and a few weeks later a few more arrived. Two turned out to be male, so wanting to avoid more breeding, I bought a second tank to separate the boys from the girls.

Today I thought that the male tank looked a little empty, only having three male guppies, a blue dwarf gourami and a platy, so I bought two orange swordtails. After putting them into the tank the male guppies started dancing- the way male guppies typically fight- against the swordtails, then the smallest, which was a quarter of the swordtails size began "pecking" at one.

So, not wanting to stress out the new fish too much, I went and moved them to the female tank, thinking that the female guppies wouldn't feel threatened by the new swordtails. I was wrong. The females started all out attacking the swordtails, trying to eat their tails and just ramming into them at full speed!

I have never seen guppies do this, it was extremely aggressive. In the female tank there are also several neons, which have never been attacked since introducing them. There are also a few guppy fry in there as well, and all the fully grown guppies just ignore them.

Is there a particular reason as to why the guppies might attack swordtails, I have read that they are supposed to get along great in aquariums?

Any advice is welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom