Guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
We've all heard of being overrun with guppy fry but I am faced with this literally. I mean literally. In the last week 7 female guppies have given birth. This has resulted in close to in my best estimation 200 or so fry! Obviously I can't keep all these guys and they are way too small to send to the lfs. Options? I am at my wits end. I am removing the male guppies and putting them in with the clown loaches in QT because this has to stop! I can't, just don't have it in me to flush them so that is not an option. Cruelty in any form will not be an option for me. Yes I am a huge softy. I am willing to listen to any reasonable options. TIA.

I'm not sure how much room you have but I have heard of people getting a 10-galloon tupperware container, throwing on an old filter and heater and just putting them in there until they get bigger. Obviously you have to put them somewhere where light would hit them, and feed them.

I have thought of that, my only problem is a safe place from my 6 cats. LOL I am in a pickle. Although that may be my best option, they could go in a bathroom.

I have no oscars. But have found a temporary solution. Males are in the 10 gal with the clown loaches which are in QT for the discus tank. Have a 5 gal ready for anymore fry for now and have located 2 people willing to take several fry off my hands. Whew.

Do you believe in letting nature takes its course? I have a 20 gallon fancy guppy tank and outta every drop only about 2-3 survive. The rest get eatin. I would consider myself a humanitarian and to me this is just nature.

Mine all survive. I have a ton of guppy grass in the tank and I now know why the name is what it is. I have no problem with nature taking it's course. There is alot of hiding spots in that tank and I believe that at least 80-90% of the fry are surviving and thriving.

i dont know but i have two batches of guppies in with three red belly pirranahs. and they are surviving much better then in with non agressive fish..
My dad says they will be fish food when they get bigger but i want to take them all and put them in my little tanks.
because i've grown so attached to them all i can even tell them all a apart and i dont even live with them.
these babies are about 2 months old now.
and there are 6 babies that are a week old. and i dont think the pirranahs have even eaten any of these guys yet.. its just a matter of time when they will tho.

I wish that I had your luck. I have had one guppy and two mollies give birth and have seen only one fry, and that was from a black molly. Well, he only survived for about two weeks until........well, let's just say that another tankmate treated him like a chocolate bonbon.

Back
Top Bottom