Have i been given bad advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adamzam15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I visited one of my lfs today.

The guy there told me two things when I asked questions:

Firstly, when I told him I had just got a qt/hospital tank he told me I didn't really need to quarantine fish brought from there as they already quarantine them for 2 weeks before selling. And moving them around more would cause extra stress.

Also, he said there was no need to quarantine plants and to just put them in salty water first and then rinse them.

These both go against what I've read and wanted one of you experts to help!

I'm planning on buying three dwarf corys on sun and want to get things right

I do agree with the Plants ... no need to QT when you can do a bleach dip ... or ... a Hydrogen Peroxide dip It'll kill any microbes / Parasites / Snails etc.

As for the fish ... some fish diseases can take up to a month to manifest ... so it's great they "QT" their fish for 2 weeks .. which is more than some LFS's ... but then you put the fish in your tank and a week later it comes down with something.

QT LFS new stock for a month ... local wild caught fish ... like a lake ... 2 months.

Well it also depends on if the LFS does a QT, or if they do a medicated or hypo'd QT... If they just leave them alone for 2 weeks just to observe their behavior, then no it's not 100% effective. But if they are doing a 2-3 week hypo or Melafix treatment, then I personally would be ok with that...

Completely disregard what I just said, I thought I was in Salt Water section! Sorry!!

You can never be too careful. Since you have a QT you should use it. I mean it's good practice that the LFS says that quarantine their stock too. But they get so much turnover that something might slip by them and end up in your tank.

Depending on the plants you're getting, you can either dip them in a 1:20 bleach dip or use H2O2, giving them a good rinse in tap after... Works fine for me. Not sure about using salt as the LFS mentioned. Someone else can chime in on that one... I just have experience, but I'm far from being an EXPERT.

I never QT any fish or plants..... I dont even wash the plants......

I never QT any fish or plants..... I dont even wash the plants......

That's the policy most people take until they get burnt. Dealing with fish disease breakouts or snail infestations are time consuming, difficult and frustrating things to do and it doesn't take many to realise prevention is 100% better than a cure.

In addition when you've spent so long getting a tank up and running to result in healthy and happy fish potentially jeopardising that over impatience of 2 weeks is just not worth it.

+1 Cynic... I got lazy a week ago on some newly acquired plants in my community nano tank, now i see the addition of some unwanted guests, hydra polyps :(

They're harmless to my fish but I'm growing some plants in there for my new shrimp tank. I'm going to have to dip the plants prior to transfer now because hydrapolyps are detrimental to fry and shrimplets. If i practiced some precautions earlier this wouldn't have been an issue.

That's the policy most people take until they get burnt. Dealing with fish disease breakouts or snail infestations are time consuming, difficult and frustrating things to do and it doesn't take many to realise prevention is 100% better than a cure.

In addition when you've spent so long getting a tank up and running to result in healthy and happy fish potentially jeopardising that over impatience of 2 weeks is just not worth it.
Yea I cant get a QT so I just watch them for disease at the store. I take any and all snails out as I see them. Ive been their with the snail infestation....

I just picked up a gorgeous, large Anubias from Petco and the first thing I did was a H-peroxide dip. What's that I saw in the dipped water? A dead hitchhiking snail.

Failing to quarantine anything alive, even a plant, is always a gamble. Granted, there are steps that can be taken to minimize risk, but quarantine is always the safest option. Never know what is tucked away inside a plant or animal that might takes weeks to manifest.

I wish I had quarantined my plants - found loads of small snails in my tank. They don't seem to be causing any harm though. Removed a few but I know there is at least one left. Should I leave it or remove it?

Well, about a week ago I got some new Anubias for my new RCS tank and the other day what do I see? Nematodes and other micro critters. Oops I only dipped one of the two... Forgot to dip the second. Oh did I mention a couple of snails? Thankfully what's in the tank are harmless even to baby shrimp. No sign of Hydras... Still keeping an eye out.

Back
Top Bottom