Heard about putting out of water plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinnib123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Heard that putting out of water plants in your tank help clean your water and purify it ? If so I was thinking Bambo

Is does and helps put more oxygen in the water. Bamboo does a great job and so does Egeria densa. Just stay away from any plants in tubes.

Yes I do! But I don't have bamboo. Egeria Densa I do have. They grow really fast and you can break off a limb and plant that and a new plant is formed! I also have other plants too including floating plants (for my Gouramis). I have two moss balls too. I never liked plastic plants and I wanted as much oxygen in the water as possible. The only mistake I made was getting the plants in tubes. Those aren't meant for aquariums even though Petco and PetSmart say it is.

I got lucky with the New Petco they just put in, it has it's won freshwater plant section with good waterflow (that's is cold as heck when you reach in to get your plant!). Was able to pick and choose everything from swords to Anubis.

Heard that putting out of water plants in your tank help clean your water and purify it ? If so I was thinking Bambo

The vast majority of land plants will not work in this fashion and will do nothing but rot and foul your water. Most aquarium plants are actually bog plants that have both emersed (out of water) and immersed (in water) forms. Ejeria densa is a plant that is well suited to aquarium life.

The lucky bamboo that is sold in some pet stores needs to have the leaves above water or it too will rot. It will also gather a minimal amount of nutrients from the water and add no oxygen to the water.

If you really want plants in your aquarium I would look at AquariumPlants.com and go from there.

Here is a list of low light plants that just about anyone should be able to grow:
Excellent List of Low Light Plants

Back
Top Bottom