heartattacks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tivaala

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so im sat here busily studying away on my laptop and something catches my eye floating round my tank in a "dead fish" kind of way. so heart leaps into my throat, i shove the laptop aside and get up to go look, already upset at the thought of losing someone.....and its just the hollowed out skin of the courgette that the pesky sods have demolished. phew. so now that all my fish are looking at me like im a crazy woman i thought id ask if anyone else ever has these panicky moments?

I haven't freaked out over a fish dying, but there have been other moments.

I almost poured one of my kuhli loaches down the drain. He was in the filter when I went to clean it and he got dumped in the sink. The sink strainer kept him from going down the drain. Did the same thing with some RCS too.

This past weekend I was moving some guppies from one tank to another and I got sidetracked while drip acclimating them. I found them on the carpet in a puddle next to an overflowing cup. Both have survived so far.

I was sucking out some water from my tank a couple of days ago to acclimate a fish and my guppies were all "feed me" and they stuck there head into the tube and down they went. You just saw dots flying through the tube and they came out the other side in the bucket after a rollercoaster ride. I laughed, caught them, and then put them back into the tank and they were fine.

Just the other day I thought my large koi angelfish was sick because it was face up, completely vertical at the surface. I thought it was trying to pick at some food that was stuck around the edges of the tank. I brushed it off as nothing and went about my business. An hour or so later I saw it doing the same thing. I freaked out thinking that it might be sick or something. I went over to the tank and saw that SHE was laying eggs on my filter intake. Caught me off guard as she is the only angel in the tank and I've had her for a few years with no batches of eggs. Needless to say I was relieved to see that.

It is quite cute too, she is fanning the eggs all the time and picking out the white (dead/fungus) eggs.

I had to look up courgette. :) I havent had any real scares, except the tiny green barb in the canister filter that almost went down the drain.

I did have a mass die off when I moved and found my city water to be different 5 miles away. :(

meh turns out i should of been panicking a little, i was just looking at the wrong tank. one of my sunset platys died giving birth. managed to save 4 tiny little orange fry, poor little mites managed to get into the filter. i didnt realise theyd be so much smaller than molly fry. gonna have to cover those intakes before the other platy or the guppys drop. at least the future guppy tank (still cycling) has a different fry safe filter.

I was sucking out some water from my tank a couple of days ago to acclimate a fish and my guppies were all "feed me" and they stuck there head into the tube and down they went. You just saw dots flying through the tube and they came out the other side in the bucket after a rollercoaster ride. I laughed, caught them, and then put them back into the tank and they were fine.

okay thats funny! ive been worrying my filter output is too strong but tbh i think theyre having fun. they swim into the current then stop and go whizzing backwards. then they swim back to the corner and do it over again. since the flow is directed along the back wall they dont have to enter the current unless they want to but i swear theyre lining up to take turns.

Three. I first thought the OP couldn't spell cigarette.

rofl. yep its my top tip for keeping a community tank stress free. they all have a 5 a day habit. on saturdays i give them gin and tonic aswell.
****** now im never gonna get rid of the mental image of my fish in smoking jackets, puffing away with a glass of whiskey in one fin!

Believe it or not, some reef aquarists dose their tanks with vodka. You might be onto something with that gin and tonic.

I don't remember what it was for, other than to control some water parameter. Maybe nitrate control.

Back
Top Bottom