Established tank with more than one current issue at a lost as what to do.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi ive decided to do a new thread as i have several issues that have come out of no where with my sub tropical tank.

i will try to give as much info as possible.

Set up

465 119 Gallon

subtropical tank

2 External Filters
1 internal Filter
1 bubble pump

No live plants No new additions for over a year.

Tank occupants

1 female Ryukin 3yrs old
1 female Golden fantail 2yrs old
1 female calico fantail ( main breeding interest female) 2yrs old
2 male black moors 2yrs old and 3yrs old
1 female black moor 1yr and a half old

1 variatus platy
3 female wcms
2 female danios
1 male danio all around 2yrs old

No live plants have ever been used. I feed sinking pellets for fancie, mirco pellets for sub tropical fish , bloodworm pellets, frozen daphia, brimpshrimp and occasionally live versions as a treat. I feed veg every other day. peas, cabbage, runner beans, broccoli, cucumber and spinach mainly green veg.

My first issue

Out of no where with no new additions in terms of ornaments or fish .

My Ryukin developed what looked like small skin tags on the inside of her tail fin. I also later noticed one or two on her dorsal fin and her under belly fins. The cycle of this what looked like a small white worm parasite would start by looking like a salt grain but slight larger than the ich kind and then a small white worm would hang from it and then a little red sore would be left behind. I see no fork like tail, and the images i have seen of anchor worm dont look the same. But i decided to treat with Parazin P tablets from the aquatic centre after first doze i went 2 weeks free then saw the parasite again so redozed i did a longer treatment and redozed a week later after a waterchange. so i have done 3 dozes of parazin p tablets 4 tablets each time. This was calculated by aquatic centere as doze i neede they sold the individual tablets. I went up till the water change on sunday with no sign of the white worm. But the day after the water change i can see in same place on Ryukin the little bony skin tag on her tail. she doenst have as many like 2. I am despairing cause do and should i just keep treating with more parazin p tablets? even though im not even sure this is anchor worm?

issue 2 since using the parazin P , during the first dose i noticed my 3yr old black moor had a slimy stringy type stuff hanging of his body like on his slime coat. This then went away. But again yesterday i noticed the same stringy type slime coming of the top half of his body, he now has a slight bluey grey look to his body near his dorsal fin and upper back. Yesterday his dorsal fin was floppy and he looked bit down. I did a water test and am and nitrite were 0 but nitrate was high at 40 ppm , i did another water change and the nitrate is the same. i tested my tap water and its reading the same about 40nitrate. I have always had nitrate at 5ppm - 10 i dont know why its jumped up or why my tap water is reading so high i live in London England in the city in a block of flats. He IS acting normal other wise but sat on the floor to rest twice before the water change.

issue 3 , My 1yr old female black moor, has on the side of her tail fin a little white patch which has been then for over a month now with no changes or signs of ill health. She is one of those moors that is changeing colours and has orange patches breaking up her blackness. I thought this was part of her colour change but looking at it closely it looks a little raise and cotton like. I use melafix occasionally to help heal wounds. But this doenst seem to have helped this.

Other than these issues. Every one acts completely normally even the Ryukin with the parasite she hasnt show any other sign of ill health and every one is active eating well. The only one who seems unhappy was the 3yr old black moor y.day but his fine today but still has the grey ting on his upper body.

I am no happy at the moment cause i dont know what to do cause i dont want to keep stressing them out with waterchanges and more meds. Also im to scared to try salt case i get it wrong, ive tried to take pictures but they are just too fast.

I think my nitrates might be due to over feeding so im keeping a check on that and makeing sure i remove any uneaten veg. I have large pebbles on the bottom of my tank so its almost bare bottom so this helps minimise waste being stored there. I also am upset cause i am soo good with tank maintenance i do 50% water changes every week never missed one and i clean my internal filter weekly in tank water, i do the external filters every four weeks, but not at the same time. i do one on week four and the other the following week. i work soo hard on this tank im just frustrated as to how my fish got a parasite in the first place. I'm suspecting from live food which im no longer going to buy will stick with frozen versions.

I live in slough (almost)
Check your tap water. (Yes I read the whole page)
My nitrates at tap source rise to about 40ppm after rainfall.
(It has been raining outside recently)
Normally they are around 10ppm in the summer. Now I hate tap water! It's far too unstable!

Both live and frozen foods can harbour disease. Some "eggs" from some parasites can survive freezing etc.

Seems unlikely? What brand do you use? If it's gamma radiated it should be fine.

You could have anchor worm? Lernaea elegens.

Hope that helps!

Whatever it was I think it's gone. Don't think it was anchor worm as didn't look anything like the images I found on Google. I have treated my tank for slimecoat diease. So that's currently underway. I have seem an improvement already to my moors skin. Mostly back to black, grey patches are less. But he is resting alot on the bottom of the tank. But eating well. I did a 50% water change again before I added the slime coat med . I'm also using primafix to help with an secondary fungal infections. I have tested my tap water again and the Nitrate has come down. Personally the black Moor with slimecoat i think he is sensitive to meds. I think the parazin p may have stressed him and slimecoat is a result of that. When I first got my tank I had an ich breakout and everyone coped really well with the med I used ,except this black Moor he had to rest on the floor alot but pulled through. This is the first time in like a year I've had any problems. I won't be using live food again. I don't know the brands of my frozen food cause I threw the casing away. But I might switch to dry versions as its just not worth the risk to fishes health and the cost of treatment

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been using frozen food since pretty much the beginning. (A long time!)
No real issues as a direct result, or none than can be attributed to the food.

Good news the fish is on the mend. . .

I can recommend both, TMC gamma blister and JMC brands of frozen stock.
I've been using JMC for? It must be 8 years now! And TMC for even longer.

Either way, good luck.

Jmc is def one of the brands I have. The Moor was much more himself today and no bottom resting. Hopefully things have cleared up.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Furan-2 can clear up minor wounds and secondary fungus, and is preatty safe and easy on fish, and does not cost alot or hurt Good bacteria. You can even get it at walmart.

I'm having a nightmare with my large black moor he seemed fine but this morn I checked him and large splits in his long back tail and clearly rotting in places did a 50% water change cleaned bother external filters. Tap water is reading 40ppm nitrates again. Am and nitrite 0. O saw two of my golds nip at his tail. Is my tank overstocked. 465litre 6fancies.
1variatus platy
3danios
3wcm.

I've reduced feeding. He seemed fine until I put primfix and melafix in to try help heal his tail.

Sent from my Harrier Mini from EE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He's use to melafix. I'm wondering if its the primafix as his bottom sitting a lot now.

Everyone else is fine. Its just him who seems affected. He has a weakened immune system and sensitive to meds. I adopted him I think he lived in pretty bad conditions at the beginning of his life.

I have see two of the Goldie's take bite at his tail. Feel so bad for him. He was looking so well again.

I just did a nitrate test on tank water and actually isn't bad. Yet when I did tap water reading it was more red than this reading!!! So confused. Do you think my moor is being bullied.

Attachments

• 1446067253109.jpg
    1446067253109.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 74
So my readings are 0 am and nitrite and 10-20 nitrate in tank.

Update. I'm rehomed the two bullying Goldie's. So now have only 4 fancies in a 465 litre. Its staying that way too. Hopefully my moor has a fighting chance of healing now. The bullies were ripping his tail apart.

Can you get antibiotic feed and methylene blue in the uk?
You mentioned you had gotten some "pratin"
which I assume contains praziquentel, for the worm?
I feel at a loss trying to help you if you cannot get even the most basic meds. I am a firm believer that clean water or salt alone will not stop any parasite or disease once it has started in full force.....

Hi just an update. My moor is showing great improvement. I did melafix for 3days then did another water change. His tail is healing and I can see edges fusing together and the grey whitish edge has gone. He hasn't bottom sat today. Yesterday I added an extra hob internal filter with some carbon to hopefully take out any traces of meds that may be causes this problem. Parameters are am 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5-10. Tap is no longer reading 40. This test was after water change nitrate was between 10-20 before. I am wondering whether dozing 3 times with Parazin p then anti slime coat. That's a lot of meds and you can never be sure if everything is out of the water no matter how rigious you are with water changes between meds. Hopefully the carbon has taken out traces which may not be helping and causing him stress. The tank is v.peaceful without the bullies there was no way he was gona heal with the bullies. V.happy his doing well after his ordeal.

BTW ryukins suspected parasite has not been seen since last doze of Parazin P.

Emma I'm sorry but do you even listen at all to the advice and info people tell you? You make one post after another, without so much as a word of what you were told being mentioned.....

Yes I do had you read the previous posts I did 3 dozes of Parazin P and had no sign of a parasite for some time. My issue is with my moor. I live in the UK antibiotics are hard to come by. Methylene blue. Is too hard on my moor if its like the green dye used in ich treatment. My moor has been stressed since using the Parazin p. I know my fish. I was just updated my thread.

You said in your post I don't believe salt or clean water will help with a Parasite or disease. That's why I didn't acknowledge it cause I was thinking. Parasite issue has been cleared up for weeks. His not read previous posts.

Okay, sorry I had to say something. Was not trying to be mean or anything at all, I just am trying to help.
I understand you cant find antibiotics and such in the UK or Aus.
I don't really believe clean water alone will help with an advanced case of tail rot or parasites or anything serious. But In that post I admitted my own error...I failed to realise your in the uk in my previous advice. Sorry for the mix up!
Actually methylene blue is not like malachite green at all. methylene is used in science and is actually used in human medicine, like as an injection or something, its very save, and will kill many minor bacteria like the ones that infect wounds, fungus, and even (theoreticaly) some parasites.
I do apologize, I did not want to come off as mean or anyting, but it seemed like you were ignoring all our advice. (okay my advice, I'm a fish disease/medicine advisor junkie okay, lol)
Ill look at your other post now, but if you can get methylene blue, it would do more good than harm. Its not really a antibiotic/paracide, its mostly a fungicide that heals fish by stearilizing the outside and gills and mouth, and increasing oxygen levels and red blood cells.
(I know I contradicited myself, its MOSTLY a very useful fungicide, there are some that claim it kills some typical infection bacteria like on wounds and some limited types of protozoa paraistes.)
Goldfish are usually pretty peaceful, but I have seen them be mauled by other goldfish or koi during mating season between the alpha males....
Check the local fish only stores, google if methylene blue is available or "legal" in the UK for use in fish medicine, in the case of your maled moor, it would be the best choice to use given you cant get proper antibiotic. If not, you wont have much choice but to try clean water or something like melafix.

Back
Top Bottom