Heartbroken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LILY781

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a new 10 gal. aquarium about 3 weeks ago. After reading many blogs I purchase the Master test kit and all the other recommended maintenance items. Well, Thursday I tested my water and saw I had high Ammonia. I did my first water change using the siphon. I was incredibly nervous to suck up or injure a fish. But I managed to do a 25 to 30% change with no issues.

The next day I tested again, and the ammonia only slightly dropped. I then decided I needed to do another water change, this time 50%.

This time around I removed most of the decor so I could really get in there and see what I’m doing. Everything was good, I kept counting my little guys. I then continued to replace the decorations & refill after some time. About an hour later I check in and do my count and one of my Cory’s is missing. I’m in a panic.

I’ve emptied out the tank, took out the decorations. Checked the hallow ones, nothing! I’ve moved around the gravel, nothing. My fish tank is also covered.. how did he go missing, did I kill or bury the little guys without realizing? I’m truly heart broken and feel so bad!

I don’t understand how there’s no trace!

Are you dosing with Prime? Will help greatly with ammonia.
Prime does nothing for ammonia as dozens and dozens of web sites and phD chemist have stated. Prime is a reducer of chlorine and ammonia can only be removed by oxidation. If you do a water change and add prime to reduce the chlorine, that is why ammonia is removed, normal. But all dechlorinators to the same thing.

Prime does nothing for ammonia as dozens and dozens of web sites and phD chemist have stated. Prime is a reducer of chlorine and ammonia can only be removed by oxidation. If you do a water change and add prime to reduce the chlorine, that is why ammonia is removed, normal. But all dechlorinators to the same thing.
So, it does help. I'm blocking you mate, your condescending attitude is constant and annoying.

For the record... Prime does not remove anything from the water. It does detoxify nitrates, nitrite and ammonia for, up to, 24 hours. It neutralizes chlorine and chlorimine. It can be dosed 3x recommended for a cycling tank. Essentially if you use prime and do a daily wc you can safely do a fish in cycle.

For the record... Prime does not remove anything from the water. It does detoxify nitrates, nitrite and ammonia for, up to, 24 hours. It neutralizes chlorine and chlorimine. It can be dosed 3x recommended for a cycling tank. Essentially if you use prime and do a daily wc you can safely do a fish in cycle.
OP stated they were doing water changes. Sorry about your fish, part of the hobby. Keep testing the water and it will be more fun. Small tanks are the hardest!

Don't want to have any issues here, but that is why folks get in trouble.

Read here... [FONT=&quot]http://aquariumscience.org/index.php/5-5-3-2-prime-and-safe/ [/FONT]

Op- sorry to slide the soapbox into your thread. Cycling a tank is a tad stressful. Sounds like you're on the ball though. Keep changing water daily to remove toxins and you'll get there. I'd leave the tank scape as is, less stress on the fish.

Back
Top Bottom