Heater exploded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamwallaby

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I thought one of our loaches had died. Went to store and bought more after reading that we should have at least 3 not two like we had had. Added the new loaches today and then noticed a head looking out from inside the heater casing. I realized it was the loach stuck in there so I pulled the heater out, popped the casing and released him (so now we have 4). Heater was out of water about 30 seconds. This was several hours ago. Just went to turn off light and saw the heater had exploded in the tank :( I scooped out the glass and suctioned up the black powder that was all over under the heater. It smelled like burning wires when I pulled it out. Anything else I need to worry about? (besides having to buy a new heater on friday and hoping my tank is ok til then)

I'm curious as to what kind of heater you have (had)...

I hope you didn't stick your hand in the tank before unplugging it. How are the fish doing? You're not eating fish for dinner tonight, are you?

David

glad to hear your loach is ok though
sorry about the heater, but just be glad everything is ok it could have been much worse

i'm not sure about the contents of the heater, being a problem what kinda of heater did you have ?

I take it you didn't unplug the heater when you took it out to rescue your fish, that probably what caused it to explode it built up heat with out the water to dissipate the heat so it probably cracked when you put it back into the tank.

greetings.
I take it you didn't unplug the heater when you took it out to rescue your fish, that probably what caused it to explode it built up heat with out the water to dissipate the heat so it probably cracked when you put it back into the tank.

just what i was about to write. i once took out a heater for only a few secounds, and it was already giving off steam. a heater sould be turned off for a good 5-10 mins before moving it around. if you don't you risk it exploding in your face, you are lucky it exploded in the tank instead.

Was one of my earlier mistakes, did a water change, neglected to switch off the heater, steam, explode. Very lucky I didn't electrocute myself or the entire tank :/

Back
Top Bottom