help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweeper16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so i have the worlds pickiest puffer ever, he only eats the heads off the sun cooked shrimp i give him then lets the tails fall to the bottom. i need a clean up fish or clean up animal for a large brackish tank any ideas?!?

If he keep eating the food partially, then use a turkey baster to suck up the leftover off the substrate.

What kind of puffer do you have?

I agree that in this instance, you would better served by siphoning up the dropped food rather than adding another fish. Have you tried only feeding the heads or feeding smaller shrimp?

Also feed raw shrimp rather than cooked shrimp.

I use tongs to hold shrimp at the top of the water. They take a bite, then I pull the shrimp out of the water. They chew, then I put it back into the water. Its a lot cleaner than putting the whole shrimp in the water. I don't get small pieces of shrimp floating around the tank.

OK, so here's a dumb question for you from a hobbyist that has limited experience with puffers... to simplify the feeding, do you think your puff would accept frozen mysis? If you have other tanks as well, you would probably have little waste from the cubes, as most fish that are large enough to accept mysis, will go after it with gusto. I use a brine net to thaw the cubes, and then to feed the tanks. Given than mysis are much smaller than grocery store shrimp, maybe your puff would leave less behind after your feedings. Just a thought, and I am far from an expert on the subject, so definitely wait for a puffer keeper to weigh in on the topic. :)

There are many food sources for puffers, including Mysis shrimp. For better consumption by the puff, turn off the filter or source of water movement (ie powerhead or canister). Puffers will always leave some kind of mess behind. Its unavoidable, but easy.

Also feed a nice variety of food and include live food, such as snails, worms, and crayfish.

Back
Top Bottom