Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

btreas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Trying to stabilize or rather have the most optimal levels in my tank.

55 gallon API canister filter , 300 gph flow rate
1 angelfish
5 guppies
2 tiger barbs

Just bought the API master test kit this morning and these are the readings 24 hrs after a water change

PH: 6.0
Ammonia: 0.50 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 40 PPM

How old is the tank, and how often do you do water changes? Also how much water do you change out? You shouldn't have ammonia in your tank and at that level you need to do 1-2 50% WC's over the next couple of days to bring the level down to below .25. Also nitrates should be kept no higher than 20ppm which again is going to warrant some good WC's. Your not over stocked so that isn't a problem. How often do you clean your filter/filters? And lastly your Ph is on the low side. Have you ever tested your tap water? If not remove a cup and aerate it for 24 hours so it will gas off and then test to see what it's Ph is. If your tanks Ph is alot different than your taps Ph there is an issue.

btreas said:
Trying to stabilize or rather have the most optimal levels in my tank.

55 gallon API canister filter , 300 gph flow rate
1 angelfish
5 guppies
2 tiger barbs

Just bought the API master test kit this morning and these are the readings 24 hrs after a water change

PH: 6.0
Ammonia: 0.50 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 40 PPM

Are you sure that ammonia is reading .5? Ammonia is toxic to fish. It burns their gills and actually poisons them. If it truly is at .5 then your going to need to do daily or twice daily water changes to get the ammonia down to preferably 0

Tank is about 1 month old. I set it up with no real knowledge about what I was doing and that it should be cycled. I was doing 25% changes every other day.

I also tested the tap water and was 7.0 ph

I think if you do frequent 50% WC's until you get your numbers down things will improve. But you do need to check into the Ph issue. One other thing, tiger barbs tend to be very aggressive and nippy so watch your angel and guppies carefully. It usually best to keep TB's in schools of at least 6 to help keep aggressive within the school but they are no a good choice for angels and guppies due to their fins.

Alright will keep an eye on the barbs. Recommend just moving them to a separate tank? And tap water should sit a whole day before putting into tank? I do have the tap water neutralizer that I add with it.

Actually the barbs would be better in a different tank with at least 4 more added. As for the tap water let it sit for a day but add an airstone if you have one or stir the water as often as you can to gas off. Don't add anything to the tap water being tested.

Again please excuse the lack of knowledge lol. But what is the the preferred way to hold the tap water while you wait to do water changes. Right now I have it sitting in gallon jugs which I'm going to assume is not the correct way lol.

ive had barbs n angels together without issues but trick is 6+ barbs or more so they dont try to nip the angels.

If you cant get the ammonia down fast a good tip and trick to use is quickstart to put in the stuff needed to eat up the ammonia and nitrite. (it works) And is a faster way to get the ammonia under wraps cause it has the bacteria to eat the ammonia and nitrite up.

And what I would also suggest is abit of aquarium salt once things are under control.

Again please excuse the lack of knowledge lol. But what is the the preferred way to hold the tap water while you wait to do water changes. Right now I have it sitting in gallon jugs which I'm going to assume is not the correct way lol.

Before I had a water changer I would fill a bucket with close to the same temp water as the tank add Prime and pour it in. You don't have to let it sit. And once you run out of your declor/water conditioner you should get Prime to use. It is one of the best products on the market. It also changes ammonia/nitrite into a non-toxic form for fish. But good ole water changes are the best thing you can do. Also using aquarium salt is not recommended, and angels don't like it. It can be used for treating certain conditions if needed.

I also tested the tap water and was 7.0 ph

In order to test tap water you need to fill a cup and aerate it for 24 hours to let it gas off, then test it. That will give you your true tap ph reading.

Ok thanks for advice. Really appreciate all the help.

It seems there is some confusion between letting the water sit for 24 hours for testing, and taking water for water changes.
If you want a true tap water pH reading, take a cup of water in a glass glass (no plastic or tupperware), and let it sit on your counter for 24 hours, tap the bottom of the glass on the counter as often as you can to help it "gas out." Then test the pH.
For a water change, you just need to add the conditioner to the water as it comes out of the tap (in the proper ratios according to the manufacturer), making sure it's the proper temperature too, but there's no need to let it sit for 24 hours.

Sorry if I'm needlessly clarifying, but it seemed from the responses that there were two different trains of thought going.

Nope thanks for clarification. Up until river cats last post I was assuming all tap water needed to sit.

After doing a 50% water change last night the new ammonia results are down to .25 and ph remains at 6.0

Something you might want to consider is at such a low ph your BB begins to slow down and can actually stop working if it drops much lower. If your ph is constant at 6 you might want to consider adding a small amount of crushed coral in a knee hi nylon and put it in the tank. This will slowly increase the ph. You only want to start with a small amount and monitor the ph until it settles then you know if you need to add more or take out some to get to the desired ph. Just a thought.

Is there a specific kind of coral? Or just ask for coral at the local pet store?

It's crushed coral. Many who keep African cichlids use it as their substrate.

just tested the true ph of my tap water and its 7.6

Back
Top Bottom